backhandspring trouble:(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey! im working on level 7 skills on beam and im having alot of trouble with my back handspring on the high beam. i can do the ine on resi beam, but when i get to high beam, im really scared. i know as soon as i do one ill be good but its DOING it thats the problem. any suggestions?:confused:

i went through the same thing, i knew i could do it but i was scared to go on a high beam. my suggestion is just keep doing it on low beams to gain even more confidence and have a coach spot on high beams. also what helped me was start on a low beam, then after you do one raise it up and do it another. and keep raising it until its pretty high! hope i helped:) i've struggled with my bhs on beam on and off for a year now.

same!

ive had a repetitive problem with bhs. ill do it one day, and then the next i just dont. rite now im on resi, and im confident til i get to high beam. this has been on and off for about a year for me to.:eek:

What I'd do:

Pile mats right up to the height of the beam. Work like this until you are 100% confident, then take one mat away. When you are 100% confident, take another away and so on. I think this is more effective than going back to the low beam. When I was doing them, I found it easy to go for it on the low beam, but not on the high beam, purely because I knew I was higher off the ground.

Have a coach spot you for the first one or two just to reassure you.

Don't rush, take your time. In my opinion beam is worth taking time over, especially when the skills start to get harder.

If it gets to the point where you know you can do it, yet you just won't go for it, imagine your beam routine, do the bit of dance which comes before the bhs and do it, then go for the bhs with support. Gradually have your coach move away from the beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back