backwalkover backhandsprings on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymgirl9000

does any one have a suggestion for me? i am working on back-walkover back handsprings on BEAM. i can do the back-walkover part but then i pause and cant do the back hand spring. i i have tried to say keep going to myself and set go but nothing i have tried is working. PLEASE, I NEED A LOT OF HELP AND SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::(:( PLEASE!!!!!!

You need fluent movement for a back walkover, back handspring. No hesitation! Try doing a handstand step down to back handspring on a line. Once you get comfortable with this, try a back walkover, back handspring on a trampoline on a line to feel the timing and smooth rhythm. Two back walkovers in a row on a line will also help you with orientation. When doing the actual back walkover, back handspring, make sure you are jumping hard backwards at the same time you are swinging your arms. You should see the beam before your hands land. A spotter at this point is useful, but the best thing to do is always make believe a spotter is not there. That way, you won't develop a mind block if the spotter isn't there. Take it slow. Don't be impatient. Bad habits are hard to break, so just go at a steady pace with progressions. You'll be doing it by yourself a lot sooner than you thought you would! :)

You could start with handstand backhandspring. Make sure your head is in - you should be looking towards the end of the beam where you're going, but it's pretty common for girls to look at their hands on the beam instead. Practice this on the floor. Arms should stay by the ears the entire time, no swing. Don't let the head throw back. You want to avoid a shoulder angle when the hands contact in the BHS, which will make it really hand to land.

Create a focus point for each part of the skill, but keep it simple (no long sentences). Just beginning, middle, and end. For example, through the HS support of the backwalkover, you could think "push" (strong push through the shoulders) "punch" (step down into the backhandspring) "reach" (hands on the beam) and then "square" for the finish. Alternately for a rhythm, you can just count 1, 2, 3, etc for each point your hands and feet hit, or 1, 2, 1, 2.

This is part of the reason I think it's useful to work no swing beam back handspring in preparation for series. It gives a reference point for the connection.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back