Parents Backwalkover crooked

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmomintraining

Proud Parent
my daughter finally got her BWO on beam after a huge mental block and then ended up in a boot for a stress fracture for 4 weeks and didn’t do that skill. Out of the boot now her BWO is so crooked! She is lifting her leg up and her hips twist every single time. Any suggestions on drills or exercises to help keep her hips square and leg lifted straight up? The fear seems to be gone but now she has this frustration. TIA

My kid had a similar problem but without the injury. The coach put her on the floor beam and then set up tall mats on both sides of the beam so if she went crooked at all she would knock the mat down. It was mostly a psychological technique because the mats didn't do anything but give her a visual cue to go straight but it worked really well for her.

Mine was going crooked in BHS on beam and they changed her starting position to feet side by side- or was it one foot in front of the other? One of those..can’t remember which way it went. But it fixed it. Not sure if that can work with walkover but that’s all I’ve got. LOL. They’ll work it out though, I’m sure.

I was in a boot for much longer than a month, and when I was able to bear weight on both legs again, I was shocked at how out of alignment my hips were; the uneven height and discrepancy in weight takes a toll on the pelvis. Someone, maybe @ascarter1?, posted that her daughter kept going crooked on beam after getting out of a boot because her hips were out of alignment, so that might be worth checking. (I also had uneven muscle development and activation, but that was after several months in a cast then boot.)

I was in a boot for much longer than a month, and when I was able to bear weight on both legs again, I was shocked at how out of alignment my hips were; the uneven height and discrepancy in weight takes a toll on the pelvis. Someone, maybe @ascarter1?, posted that her daughter kept going crooked on beam after getting out of a boot because her hips were out of alignment, so that might be worth checking. (I also had uneven muscle development and activation, but that was after several months in a cast then boot.)
If she is out of alignment, a chirp is always an awesome idea. Some people frown on them, but I love mine.

Reactions: sce
Let your daughter and the coach deal with it.

You say have fun honey, love you.
While this is always solid advice as far as technique and corrections, the issue here could be a physical one that needs looking into, I agree with the others that being in a boot could have thrown off her hip alignment and strength. A chiro or PT might be worth visiting to check on these possible issues.

While this is always solid advice as far as technique and corrections, the issue here could be a physical one that needs looking into, I agree with the others that being in a boot could have thrown off her hip alignment and strength. A chiro or PT might be worth visiting to check on these possible issues.
Yep but the OP was asking for drills etc.... the coach should be on that.

Yep but the OP was asking for drills etc.... the coach should be on that.

That’s perhaps because she did not know what was causing the problems with her daughter’s BWO.

In addition to a potential misalignment mentioned by other posters, there could also be an imbalance in the strength of her legs and hips. It will take a little time to get her strength back on the injured side. Continuing PT can help that.

That’s perhaps because she did not know what was causing the problems with her daughter’s BWO.

In addition to a potential misalignment mentioned by other posters, there could also be an imbalance in the strength of her legs and hips. It will take a little time to get her strength back on the injured side. Continuing PT can help that.
Yes I agreed

When DD had this issue, we found out that it was caused by hip weakness. Dd did PT to strengthen her hips as well as her ankle when she got out of the boot and the problem went away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back