Backward roll to front support help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mumoftwogymnasts

Proud Parent
My dd just cannot seem to get this skill, she sort of rolls and then lands in a tuck position, or sometimes manages to make angry cat. It is in her floor routine and there is a comp soon... any tips?

It's an awkward skill isn't it? I don't think I've seen it done elegantly yet. :D For some reason my DD occasionally (almost) hits HS by mistake. It's the only thing she doesn't point her toes doing - in fact she's in exaggerated flex from the start ready not to stub her toes. I wonder if trying it my DD's way might reassure your DD she won't hurt her toe on landing so she's game to land in front support instead of on her knees??

From what you are describing, she may be missing the core strength to do the skill properly.
Basically start with the arms straight and just above eye level.
Don't move them at all (since she's going to prone)
Sit straight down on the heels without leaning forward (quickly)
Roll back while tucking the head in.
As the shoulders make contact with the floor, straighten the legs and let the skill finish itself.

If the kick out of the legs is timed correctly, it will pull you the rest of the way through the skill.

This is the easiest way that I can think of to do the skill even though it may not be the prettiest.

Tips:

- Shoulders must be in ears when starting to sit in the back ext roll.

- I do not teach beginners (L4) to throw back their arms from in front of them to overhead. Too often they will not have their shoulders shrugged when the arms reach overhead.

- Work it down a wedge mat or off a panel mat (and take layers off). Tuck, pike, then prone/pushup/plank.

- Pull toes over head like an upside down pike position. I call it basket from the Men's program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back