WAG Backward Tumbling Required?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ego248

Proud Parent
Is it possible to meet optional level (6 -10) requirement with only front tumbling? Just curious since DD has developed block - going backwards. She did switch to xcel but seems to want more hours lately. I guess switching back to JO may not be possible though because she only competed up to level 4 and 5 has backwards skills?

Yes, it can be done. In the upper levels, there is a deduction for not having a mix of tumbling front/back but it's relatively small.

One of our L8’s just completed a season(not a great one, but a season nonetheless) with zero back tumbling. You DO need it for L7. There were definitely deductions for her, but she competed and went all the way to Sates..!

It is a special requirement for level 7 but you could leave it out of a routine and just start from a 9.5. Not sure what happens in compulsory scoring but I would figure it is a similar sort of deduction for not having the skill in her routine. The big question is whether the gym would allow a gymnast to do this or continue to keep her at a particular level until she gets over the fear.

I doubt they will let her move on or score out at this point. Just more curious if she could still do optionals later if she has still has a block. She is 9 going on 10 and doing xcel gold now. She did track also this year but seems more committed to gymnastics since trying other sports.

As others have said, a back layout is a requirement in level 7.

Beyond that, it is possible to get by without going backward much, or at all. There are successful level 10s (meaning qualifying to Nationals, performing well and getting scholarship offers) that do not do much backward at all.

Yes it can be done. My dd successfully competed 8 without it. She is now training 9 and mental block of back tumbling is starting to fade but she still prefers forward tumbling

True. She also does backward tumbling on beam- my DD looked up her beam straightaway to see if she did only front tumbling (and was majorly impressed by the standing front tuck).

I looked it up as well - the only back tumbling was a BHS-LOSO series with quite a bit of hesitation first, right? The dismount was a run into a double front tuck, which I don't think I've seen before. I don't know the name of her vault; she took off the springboard backwards and did 1/2 turn so she was forward when she pushed off the table.

I looked it up as well - the only back tumbling was a BHS-LOSO series with quite a bit of hesitation first, right? The dismount was a run into a double front tuck, which I don't think I've seen before. I don't know the name of her vault; she took off the springboard backwards and did 1/2 turn so she was forward when she pushed off the table.
We didn’t look up her vault, but yes on the beam. “Only” a bhs-loso series is definitely under the back tumbling banner to us, though. My DD definitely noticed how she was more hesitant in that one skill than the rest of both routines combined.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back