Backward walkovers on beam help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

molly2002

Gymnast
Hi, can anybody help me with my backward walkovers on beam. However hard I try, I can't get my hands together. Has anybody got any tips please?

Tie them together with a rubber band!!! Mwahahahaha jokes DO NOT DO THAT umm my friend from gym had kinda the same problem, she couldn't get her hands together on floor but when standing on the beam they were stuck together like glue. Sorry just thought I might share an experience!

Tie them together with a rubber band!!! Mwahahahaha jokes DO NOT DO THAT umm my friend from gym had kinda the same problem, she couldn't get her hands together on floor but when standing on the beam they were stuck together like glue. Sorry just thought I might share an experience!
Thanks

My coach told me to do this:
So first stand in "ready position" with your hand in front of you with your thumbs touching. Therefore making sort of a window above your thumbs. Then don't break the window! Just watch your hands with your eyes and as they go back they will naturally grab the beam!

My coach told me to do this:
So first stand in "ready position" with your hand in front of you with your thumbs touching. Therefore making sort of a window above your thumbs. Then don't break the window! Just watch your hands with your eyes and as they go back they will naturally grab the beam!
This was the same thing I was taught.
I can't get my hands together on back walkovers anymore (not that I need too) because I'm too inflexible. Your shoulders may be too stiff and can't stretch back enough to get your hands together. Do shoulder stretches and try this technique. Good luck.

This was the same thing I was taught.
I can't get my hands together on back walkovers anymore (not that I need too) because I'm too inflexible. Your shoulders may be too stiff and can't stretch back enough to get your hands together. Do shoulder stretches and try this technique. Good luck.
Oh... for a good shoulder flexibility exercise you should take a ther band (I think that's how it's spelled) and start holding it about shoulder with apart with your arms hanging in front of you so the band is touching your thighs. Then use your muscles to bring it up and over your head by stretching it and eventually on the back of your thighs. Then try bringing it to the front again. I'll try and post a video if I have time. I hope you get what I'm trying to explain though :D

I remember when I was working them, it really helped that my coach would remind us to keep our thumbs together. That helped.
It will probably be easier for you if you stretch your shoulders (that was a problem I had, however I don't do them anymore because of my lack of flexibility in my back).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back