Parents Backyard Trampoline

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cheryl

Proud Parent
My son wants a backyard trampoline. If I decide to do this, what are the best tramps for gymnasts and how much will it cost for both tramp and installation? I dare not ask if there would be a market for this used and how would I find it?

We have a tramp. It’s for jumping. NOT gymnastics.

We had a backyard trampoline for awhile. My girls were on a T&T team at the time and the coach actively encouraged it. We got one used in our neighborhood yard sale group. It was $50 and we literally got a group together, walked it home, and lifted it over the backyard fence still fully assembled. They used it for three months and I passed it on, breaking even in the process.

My son wants a backyard trampoline. If I decide to do this, what are the best tramps for gymnasts and how much will it cost for both tramp and installation? I dare not ask if there would be a market for this used and how would I find it?

If you go forward with this, yes, you can find them used on Craigslist, etc. You want to get a square or rectangle as they are safer. YOu do need to look into your homeowner's insurance to see what would happen if they find out or if something happens (and what your liability woudl be). Good luck!

We have this one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...1Qu3EAQYASABEgItePD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=53

We got it during our pre-gymnastics years. Nowadays the kids jump, do seat drops, and occasionally BHS or BT but they didn't start those until were already competing layouts at the gym. My dog also likes to lay in it, in fact he uses it more than anyone :) I like that there are no springs and that kiddos cannot fall out. It was a gift from grandparents, I never would have spent the money on one.

If you're thinking of getting one to help with gymnastics, I wouldn't bother. If you're thinking it can be a fun way to burn some energy, sure.

We got a gigantic round one many years ago just for fun (this was long before dd started gymnastics) from some friends who were moving. We paid $50 and have since replaced the mat (for less than $50) because the fabric was starting to pull away from the rings that attach to the springs. I primarily got it for myself because I've wanted one since I was about 8 years old and first learned that such wonderful things existed, but all my children and their friends have loved it over the years.

It is absolutely one of the best purchases I've ever made! So far everyone has stayed safe (despite it having none of the newer safety anything on it) with no injuries, but that's a potential risk you should be comfortable with before buying one. It's also good to figure out ahead of time what your comfort level is and what rules you want to have in place. In my experience it's more difficult to make additional rules later on than to take rules away if they end up being too restrictive in practice.

If you go forward with this, yes, you can find them used on Craigslist, etc. You want to get a square or rectangle as they are safer.

I had always heard the square or rectangle had a more even bounce but were less safe than the round, since round ones 'force' the jumper towards the center. That has been our experience anyway. We have both a rectangle and a circle, the rectangle we only allow one person at a time.

I heard that because round ones force you to center, that makes them not as safe. I think because they can "pitch" you in a direction you were not intending to go.

I woudl only allow 1 at a time on circle ones too...it can pitch everyone to the middle at the same time causing collisions..

I heard that because round ones force you to center, that makes them not as safe. I think because they can "pitch" you in a direction you were not intending to go.

Tried to edit..

I can see where the smaller bounce possible on the round is safer, but the uniform bounce to us seemed like a better option

Not thinking it for leaning gymnastics skills. I think I would enjoy it for exercise benefits. My son wants it as a part of some sort of Ninja course he is planning on constructing in the yard (Have no idea what it is, except it involves a preexisting tire swing, and hopefully a trampoline)

Here in NZ, we love Springfree trampolines, not sure how popular they are elsewhere. My advice, take it with a grain of salt, would be to make sure the trampoline has a net on the inside of the springs, you see way too many injuries where the net is on the outside, and kids get a limb stuck in the springs. Also like other posters have mentioned, try to steer clear of round tramps, because they do tend to push you in directions you don't want to go, thanks to the weave of the mat.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back