Bad News For The 2021 Tokyo Olympics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’d be interested in @aussiecoach point of view here- i’ve just read on another thread Aus isn't rolling out a vaccination programme yet as they have very few cases and the rates are low.

How will Australia manage? Unvaccinated with no previous exposure and they will be taking an enormous risk. Bearing in mind for full efficacy you need 2 doses at least a couple of months apart. So they need to start thinking about vaccinating any personnel and athletes in about 12 weeks at the latest. Will they prioritise that over their clinically vulnerable?

The UK is about as far ahead with vaccination as anyone else except maybe Israel. We’re a couple of months off finishing with the vulnerable and moving to groups such as athletes.

That’s assuming existing vaccines protect against new variants...which you are just going to bring in people from all over the world with geographical variants, bring them all together and let them go....

Having said all that- the article @JBS posted initially was published jan 15. Japan have refuted the claims in that article and still insist the games are going ahead.

I think they’re mad! I would think it’s because as with last year, it’s a game of chicken between Japan and the IOC who calls it off- as i believe the ones who make the call are left holding the bill.

How will Australia manage? Unvaccinated with no previous exposure and they will be taking an enormous risk. Bearing in mind for full efficacy you need 2 doses at least a couple of months apart. So they need to start thinking about vaccinating any personnel and athletes in about 12 weeks at the latest. Will they prioritise that over their clinically vulnerable?

I think the vaccines are 3-4 weeks apart, depending on which one you get. Pfizer is 3 weeks between the 2 shots, and Moderna is 4 weeks.

Yes, you’re right, i was thinking of the AZ vaccine which is 4-12 weeks between doses. Here they generally are nearer the 12 weeks because of supply and logistics.

@Faith Very true we have no COVID in the community and no one has been vaccinated, the roll out has not begun. We are a big, isolated island and have been able to close our borders for almost a year.

But this is Australia and the government has made it clear throughout the pandemic that the most important thing in the entire world is professional sport.

We have hosted international sporting events. You can’t enter Australia for business, leisure, education or compassion. But you can for international sporting events. the athletes enter the country they are isolated in hotel quarantine (which is very heavily regulated) and tested often for two weeks, before they can come out.

We are still running professional domestic sports with full capacity spectators.

So if it is on I can see our government allowing them to go. But they will be locked up when they return and not allowed back into the community for weeks.

I personally think it’s crazy to host the Olympics this year. They are saying they should go ahead as a signal that the world has conquered the pandemic. But that is an incredibly premature celebration, we want to THINK we have conquered it.

like the Australian Open , was like a annoying episode some tennis players said in the press , well every country applies prevent measures according with their reality as country. i think won't be postponed again but all depends how fast is the vaccine application process perhaps the most probable is that ask to all who attends to olympics games an international vaccination certificate before enter to Japan.

I would think if FL wanted to host, they would need their country to back them up. The US is such a hot mess right now, does FL not notice??
P.S. I am not trying to make any political statements here. We (USA) are just a bit of a wreck bc of poor COVID response, poor vaccine organization/roll-out, increase in domestic terrorism, social/racial /gender inequity, etc. It's unfortunate :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back