WAG bail from horizontal cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In a level 8 bar routine, does a bail have to come from handstand in order to receive no angle deductions on the cast? I thought I remembered some exceptions to the rule but can't find it except when doing the bail from an underswing.

At level eight, either a pirouette/180 long angle turn or a release move is required. The vast majority of kids do a pirouette, but we saw two bails at state and a couple of toe shoots (that toe on low bar shoot to high bar thingy). The release moves we saw weren't very good and in weak bar routines so I can only assume that these kids weren't able to get a pirouette?

At level eight we definitely saw that bars is a weak spot for many kids, even a few that were superstars at level 7. It's a little surprising because it doesn't seem like that big of a jump, but our coach always says that bars is where a lot of kids lose their momentum at this stage. Bars is really hard and totally different than the other events. I think coaching totally comes into play at this point as well. Some gyms seem to have strong bar workers across the board and some not so much. I can only imagine that compounds at level nine where things really start to get hard.

Oops sorry, went off on a tangent there.

Last edited:
At level eight, either a pirouette/180 long angle turn or a release move is required. The vast majority of kids do a pirouette, but we saw two bails at state and a couple of toe shoots (that toe on low bar shoot to high bar thingy). The release moves we saw weren't very good and in weak bar routines so I can only assume that these kids weren't able to get a pirouette?

At level eight we definitely saw that bars is a weak spot for many kids, even a few that were superstars at level 7. It's a little surprising because it doesn't seem like that big of a jump, but our coach always says that bars is where a lot of kids lose their momentum at this stage. Bars is really hard and totally different than the other events. I think coaching totally comes into play at this point as well. Some gyms seem to have strong bar workers across the board and some not so much. I can only imagine that compounds at level nine where things really start to get hard.

Oops sorry, went off on a tangent there.

Good to know! Dd is finishing up lv 7 after regionals in 3 weeks and has already started working lv 8 skills. In our gym, so far, the girls don't bail until lv 9(pirouette in lv 8) but dd and her lv 7 team are strong bar workers (so far) so who knows what will come in the next few months. I know they have worked bails, PAK saltos, and pirouettes. I guess it will just depend on the girls.

Thanks so much for the insight!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back