WAG Balance beam surface

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kgymn

Gymnast
Fairly recently my gym resurfaced some of our balance beams and it has made me wonder. The new surfaces are much more rough, it's almost like sand paper. I'm disappointed because my favorite beams got resurfaced, they were JF beams and had super soft suede. I understand why that would be a pain, as the soft doesn't wear very well and required frequent replacing, but I am just not happy with the new beam surface. I can understand how it may make it easier to stay on, since it would be impossible to slip, but I wonder about abrasions and also have delicate feet so I can't often practice turns on these beams.

Is this the new normal surface for balance beams? Or is it unusual? It's in no way soft or smooth and it doesn't even strike me as suede at all. Does anyone else's gym have this kind of surface on their beams?

~Katy

We have rough beams at our gym. They take a little getting used to, but you learn to love them. It's almost always what you will end up competing on as well.

Just saying, it IS possible to slip off the beam (I tried and succeeded, yes!), but it eventually feels a lot safer.

Maybe turning slower would feel better on your feet? Personally no matter where I turn, if I do too many I have to check to make sure my foot didn't catch fire from the friction :p

So I gave the new surface a chance tonight and it may grow on me. I did all my skills I've been working on, and it hurts my feet and my hands which I don't like, I found it much harder to do turning skills which is frustrating. But it felt really good for everything else! It's going to take some getting used to.

~Katy

^^^^^Think of it as an opportunity to brush up on your turn technique^^^^^, especially your weight distribution and ankle posture on the support foot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back