MAG Ballet/Dance in your MAG programs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
B

BlairBob

Feedback, results, commentary?

I am wondering of the "Real" usefulness of it for beginning boy gymnasts. However, I do know some programs do not even bother with competing L4 and I'm coming to understand why now.

I don't have any experience with MAG but I am taking a beginning modern dance class and I can really see now how a well structured class can improve ability and coordination. Unfortunately while the (WAG) workout groups I was in did ballet, the teachers were not very good at designing relevant curriculum that was aimed at improving the ability of beginners, and it often wasn't very helpful. I've gotten so many ideas from this class that really help the kids though, because they're simple and effective.

So like gymnastics, it really depends on the dance program I think (for boys and girls). It would be like if you had a gymnastics program with no drills or development and had the kids just chucking stuff, you wouldn't see much come out of it. Same thing with the dance, if you get teachers who are trying to teach way above the experience of the kids, or just half-heartedly trying to do class with no plans, you won't see much come out of it...if I could get my kids into the class I'm taking now, it would be so great for some of them. Of course it's more time per week than most gymnastics programs can allocate to dance though.

i mentioned in another thread that my son did it in his classes.
They start when they enter the team at about age 6 - 7, and all the male gymnasts in all groups have the 'choreography' class - which is a ballet teacher.
He wasnt in gym for a long time, but the 2 years he was there - aged 7 - 9 they would have a hour a week - sometimes only half an hour.
I am not sure exactly what they worked on!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back