WAG Ballet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is ballet a good idea?

Will it help me in gymnastics?
We take weekly hour ballet classes at the gym.
Is more necessary to help improve on anything such as technique, flexibility, knowledge, as well as help me on floor and beam?

My daughter was a dancer before she became a gymnast. She has natural showmanship that helps her on floor. However, she had to work hard to avoid using the turnout that years of weekly ballet class gave her, and also had to learn that turns in gym are different than in ballet or jazz.

Ballet may improve your grace and fluidity. Otherwise, my dd would say that gym gives her all she needs for flexibility, strength, and technique.

My older dd does ballet and loves it. Will it help your gymnastics? I don't know. If you have time in your schedule and enjoy the class, why not?

My DD's whole squad was recommended ballet to help with their leaps and turns, she only did it for about 3 months, but did seem a lot tighter on the turns, especially when compared to some of the other team members that chose not to do it.

My gymnast takes ballet now, and I have seen improvement in her form, leaps, and turns and her beam and floor. She also has started surpassing her teammates in these areas. Bottom line is that it only helps and never hurts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back