banned skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

O

oneofakind

Hi guys..I was just doing a random search for banned elements in gymnastic competition and all i could come up with was the Thomas Full here is the like to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JNu9GIwYo

so i was curiouse and decided to ask if there are other elements that are baned? if so where can i find a list? as a coach i should probably know this but none of the skill we teach at my gym are banned as far as i know and im sure our head coach and gym owner would let it be known if any were..

thanks so much guys!!!!!

When Olga Korbut did the first standing back tuck on beam in the 1970's it was banned as it was considered too dangerous. It's a bit scary to think how far things have come, here in Australia the standing back tuck on beam is an optional bonus skill in level 5!

Hi guys..I was just doing a random search for banned elements in gymnastic competition and all i could come up with was the Thomas Full here is the like to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JNu9GIwYo

Hehe, glad you like my video :D

so i was curiouse and decided to ask if there are other elements that are baned? if so where can i find a list? as a coach i should probably know this but none of the skill we teach at my gym are banned as far as i know and im sure our head coach and gym owner would let it be known if any were..

thanks so much guys!!!!!

Generally, the rules will spell out what sorts of skills are allowed and what aren't. For example, the men's code says that any skill landing in a roll or front support that's not already listed in the code is banned.

Here's a montage of banned skills that have been done in competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUBJ5R2QBVY

If you're worried about training banned skills without being aware they're banned, all you need to do is be familiar with the code of points. Any skills listed in there are allowed, obviously.

Salto skills besides single (or 1 1/4) or double are banned for women.

Any skill where an athlete stands on a bar is banned (Women FIG/ JO exception: stoop on)

Vaults which land facing sideways are banned. One arm vaults are banned.

Salto skills besides single (or 1 1/4) or double are banned for women.

Any skill where an athlete stands on a bar is banned (Women FIG/ JO exception: stoop on)

Vaults which land facing sideways are banned. One arm vaults are banned.

I believe one-arm vaults are still allowed for men; but they're valued exactly the same as the two-arm equivalent and considered the same skill, so there's no reason for anybody to do them.

I believe any sideways landing dismount is banned, for any event.

I knew 1 3/4 saltos were banned for women, but are 1 1/4 saltos (ie to prone) and triples banned for them? (I know they aren't banned as a bars dismount, since a few women have competed triple backs)

I believe one-arm vaults are still allowed for men; but they're valued exactly the same as the two-arm equivalent and considered the same skill, so there's no reason for anybody to do them.

I believe any sideways landing dismount is banned, for any event.

I knew 1 3/4 saltos were banned for women, but are 1 1/4 saltos (ie to prone) and triples banned for them? (I know they aren't banned as a bars dismount, since a few women have competed triple backs)

Triples are allowable...my point was, as you mentioned, 3/4's are banned. Front 1 1/4s are not in the code at all. I'm not sure what a judge is supposed to do with that one...I guess it's not worth doing.

There are no vaults in the women's codes without hand support with both arms, and using one arm is a heavy deduction.

It's been awhile since I watched this, but I just wanted to say nice clean twisting, Geoff.

Currently, I can barely watch this video on youtube since this I'm running on my back-up back-up system ( think pre 2000 ). It probably would be faster if I wasn't running on XP. I can't seem to go frame by frame and it's not worth it to me save it and re-encode it to see if you are pointing your toes.

That video of "banned skills" shows a "Tsukahara-style" beam dismount, which is allowable, as is the pak to reverse grip. The elements just need to be submitted for value because they haven't been performed since the new code (actually, it's been a few codes) went into effect.

Skills that go "out" aren't necessarily "banned.":eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back