Parents Bar Fairies are needed!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Midget's Dad

Midget is soooo close to getting her Mill Circle, she did a private last week to work on it and we learned she needed to shift her hands a bit. We are planning at least one more private before the next meet to work on it as well.

But, now we have another issue. Midget has a yip. Last week she started kicking her cast so high for her dismount that she is coming off the bar much faster than before, and when I say high I mean way past parallel to the floor. Last week she came off so fast she couldnt get her feet under her and came down hard on her shoulder and now she is nervous about wiping out again. She is still kicking too high on her cast but now she is struggling with getting her feet to the bar.

Hopefully we can break through it this week or next as her next meet is Oct 3rd.

Sounds like an awesome cast !!!!

I am sure she will be just fine. Gosh I hate that mill circle. Took DD forever, she kept hooking the front leg.

Sending some bar fairies !!!

That darn mill circle! She will get it eventually, if she's anything my like my dd, she'll get it just before the meet when she know she has to get it...something will just click. Her cast does sound great, but it's hard to control all that power at such a young age. She will get it and I'm sure be ready to rock by her first meet!

The good news about the mill circle is that once you are done with L4 you won't have to see with it again. Do any of our coaches know why its in the L4 bar routine? It doesn't look like it is a progression to a L5 skill.

The good news about the mill circle is that once you are done with L4 you won't have to see with it again. Do any of our coaches know why its in the L4 bar routine? It doesn't look like it is a progression to a L5 skill.

To drive parents, coaches and kids crazy !!!

I think it may have sometimg to do with shifting your grip, but I am not sure.

Yes, definitely in there to drive parents, coaches and kids up the wall. My dd had a hard time with that skill at L4 - she was so inconsistent. I'm sure it has to do with grip shifting but honestly, when is it that they are next going to need undergrip shifting - front giants? The mill circle will be a distant memory by the time they get there!

That darn mill circle. I think almost every gymmie struggles with this. I honestly think it is there to get them used to having something to work hard for in L3. In L4 it is the front hip, level 5 the kip, LOL. They are all skills that take awhile to get, come and go a bit and then finally stick. :D

Shifting grip and reverse grip are in there. Also getting used to going around the bar. Who knows. It is frustrating for sure and I know my DD will be happy to be finally done with it someday. She STILL misses it in practice and during meet warm up sometimes, just a tricky skill that mill circle, we call it evil around the CB.

Abby says to tell her this "Lift high,keep your leg up, look at the high bar and go for it. Shift your wrists to get to the top and then use your thumbs to stop yourself. Thumbs are behind the bar during mill circle and then when you get to the top, bring them forward like brakes and push down hard on the bar."

That is exactly what the coach was teaching her to do. The other thing was to keep her legs away from the bar as she was slowing herself down with it.

It is so close!

Her cast is pretty cool, except for the total lack of control during the dismount. She gets to about halfway between parallel to the floor and a handstand. I am sure it will be great for later but right now just a bit too much.

More than anything though it is just fear because of the fall that is getting to her. Not sure how to get her through it. the HC is upset because it was one of the other coaches working with her and they didn't get her right back up on the bar. I guess it is like the old falling off a horse rule, always get right back on.

I am sooooo glad my Cait got to skip Level 4 and that dreaded mill circle. She still likes to try to do them though. I think she feels cheated...:)

Sending the bar fairy from Ohio next day air...

Sean

Sending bar fairy right away to help your little gymmie. That mill circle is just an evil skill. I remember it took my gymmie what seemed forever to get that skill. Heck I think these level 4's would rather have to do a kip than that mill circle. Best of luck.

Well the yip is gone! She managed to start hitting her dismount again yesterday!

She is so close on that evil evil mill circle. Arrggg!!

I missed this thread earlier, but am happy to hear that the dismount is back under control! The power in her cast will serve her very well in the higher level!

Sending the mill circle fairies your way, and you can keep her! We were the lucky ones who didn't have to fight that evil:D

I was watching her trying it and she gets oh so close. Maybe another 6 inches of rotation and she has it.

The problem is, I think and the coach agrees based on what I overheard, she keeps looking down at the bar and kind of hunching over when she does it. Explaining to a 6 year old that she really needs to stop watching herself go around the bar and look up at the high bar seems to be tough. Plus I am not the one to tell her. :D

But we did get to see her coach do it several times to demonstrate. That was kind of fun to watch.

Glad her dismount is back! I am sure it is pretty scary going around the bar like that. Eventually it will just click. You will see. :) Then it will come and go and drive you crazy that way for awhile. :) Seriously, Abby got hers right before she turned 6 and here she is at 7 and it still causes problems sometimes. LOL.

My dd's evolution with the mill circle was that at first she would not make it around at all. This problem is caused in part I think by not shifting the hands quickly enough. Then she started making it around but could not stop herself and would fall forward. That's where looking at the high bar comes in, as well as using the thumbs to put the brakes on.

Thankfully, the coaches are trained to teach 6 year olds how to do this skill! It must have been fun to watch the coach do these!

Megley,

That was Abby as well, only she usually ended up going around 2 times. LOL. She JUST learned the brakes with her thumbs a few months ago with her super awesome bar coach. :) It usually works. :)

It really is just a tricky, tricky skill that luckily they don't need after L4. :)

I totally agree Mariposa. Thank goodness they are rid of it after L4. My dd never fell on the skill during a meet but boy did she have to put the brakes on sometimes. Now we are struggling with the evil clear hip circle. It's never-ending! :D

That is why I honestly think it is there. Every level has it's tough skills on bars, the FHC is hard for many at L4, the kip/squat on/jump at L5, clear hip at L6 etc. The girls need to learn that skills will come and go and that is okay, you just keep working hard and it eventually comes. :) Or it could be in there just to drive us parents nuts, who knows. LOL

DD has asquired all her gymnastics skills fairly quickly. The Mill Circle for her is her biggest achievement. It took her the longest time to do but was the happiest to get. She was estastic when she finally did it!!

A year later and it's still inconsistent. At practice she misses many of them. I don't know if it's lack of focus or what. I was crazy most of summer because she was not nailing any. She told me in passing one day: "Mama I think I lost my mill circle." I told her she needs to find it because she had it for a while. A few days later at open gym she did a great one and I said...see it's not lost you just need to focus on the technique. It much better than in the summer but I still think it's very evil!! heehee!

Good to you dd! And don't worry if it comes and goes at first!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back