Coaches Bar over a very limited pit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Our gym is small. We have only one pit which is about 15 x25
There is entry for vaulting on the length of the pit, and the floor entry has the short width of the pit.

We are trying to figure out if a trainer bar can be placed on the edge of the pit. I am guessing GMR double L trainer would work.
But if we did it this way, we would have to literally remove most of the bar in order to train vault.......
I dont think placing the bar on the short side would work since big dismounts would not be possible since there is a wall (15ft)

Perhaps placing the bar in the middle of the pit, and building 'bumpouts' in order to mount the bar might work too.....i dont know if 25 feet is enough....

Any ideas?

We have a single rail trainer bar that is half resi...half loose foam.

The resi side is unusable except to drop off the bar as there is a set of elite unevens only 9 ft. away. In order to dismount off that set of unevens onto the resi...the single rail must be removed.

The loose foam side is 15 ft...it is too short. If a gymnast pings or peels they could hit the pit wall. This has never happened as we are careful. You cannot just wind up and chuck whatever you want into our pit.

25 ft. is enough for some coaches for a full loose foam single rail...depending on how they want to use the bar...for me...NO.

What is on the other end of your pit? Is the pit 2 or 3 ft. off the wall? If so...you could do something like this...

IMG_20131015_115228.jpg

Send us a picture of your current setup...or a diagram.

There is no base along the wall....is is a straight wall.....
right now, the consensus is to put the bar next to the vault, close to the wall.....
the bar would be removed on vault days.......this sucks.
pit.JPG

OK...the issue is not taking down one side of a GMR bar on vault days...that is easy...10 minutes or less. The issue is that your bar will go from a "live" side to a loose foam side...ahhh! This creates a very limited and/or dangerous bar...IMO.

Platform out the vault and bar side 6 or 7 ft....enough to get a 5 or 6 ft. resi below that bar. Then throw a 12 cm competition landing mat (or other good padding) over the resi so they don't get hurt where it goes from resi to live if they peel.

Bars that change from "live" to loose foam under or 6" in front of the bar are scary to me...I would avoid that.

Also...is your pit foam at floor level...or are the cubes below the edge of the pit. This can be an issue also. If the cubes are low...the bar seems extra high and small gymnasts do not like to do things off of it.

Do you already have a resi bar somewhere else in the gym? I just can't imagine teaching release moves over a loose foam to "live" transition.

We currently do not really teach release moves at this gym. we usually have to go somewhere else.....
Girls are doing high to low bar work and vice versa, but NO high bar release for boys or girls.
this is the problem....
What if we build out on the side of the pit opposite to the vault entry....platform off the back wall similar to your previous diagram? How much space do we need to have between the back wall and the bar??? 10 ft?

Yes, cubes are below the horizon....we need more cubes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back