WAG Bar Release Moves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
I would appreciate a little background on UB release moves. Don't care how to do them or train for them (that's the coach's role), but I found myself going to You Tube when DD told me she figured out her shootover last practice. I know she's also been working on a straddle back. What I was amazed about was how many different release moves there were -- bail (is that the same as shootover -- sometimes videos said both?), jaegers, pak saltos, geingers, tchachevs -- oh my!

Just curious about the normal progression (mainly by level). DD's training 8 (pretty sure will compete 8 this fall but haven't heard for sure). I believe some of her teammates compete releases because they don't have the pirouette (does this make sense? are these releases A, B or Cs?), so I assume L8s can compete them (I think DD's training them for the following year since she has her pirouette and double back). The shootover seems really common. What's the next level for uptraining - just taking them to handstand? What are the most common by level? What do they generally need to compete in college?

Thanks - I know that's a lot of question. Curiousity abounds though.

Last edited:
counter swing to handstand= C
bail swing to handstand= D
geinger= D
deltchev= D
jaeger= D
pak salto to handstand= E
tkatchev= D
crossarm deltchev= D
counter kim= E or F
counter swing 1/2 turn to low bar= E or F (sorry, forgot her name...maybe ashova? Tweddle did it in London)
comaneci= D
shaposh= D
shaposh 1/1= E or F
korkhina from free hip or stalder= E
handstand to front catch low to high= D (sorry forgot her name)
bardwaj= E or F
def= F
1/1 twisting jeager= F
jamb inlocate counter to handstand on low bar= F (again, forgot the name)
gaylord= crazy=G (i think, have not looked lately even though we have an elite. this 1 won't be in her future)

currently, no girl is doing a Kovacs. that would probably be an X. and there are a couple of other releases that are not so common so i didn't list them. and if i have the rating wrong i'm sure a judge will correct them.

currently, no girl is doing a Kovacs. that would probably be an X. and there are a couple of other releases that are not so common so i didn't list them. and if i have the rating wrong i'm sure a judge will correct them.

Apparently my little one did one of these one day last year by accident when she was practicing a (double flyaway?) on the pit bar. But she didn't end up catching the bar again.

oh, i understand. my generation "invented" the Kovacs. except ours always landed up on the bar in support. :)

Probably won't see a kovac for a while in WAG. Anyone know of someone working one?

Thanks Dunno - I don't envision much (if anything) past a D from my DD (but she always surprises me :)). Understanding progress just seems to mean following the alphabet (and level requirements).

One clarification - is the bail the same as the shootover? I see both mentioned in threads and never realized they were the same (at least I think they are now).

several points to add to this thread.

1. a bail and a shootover (also overshoot) are all the same, just different terminology

2. at one point Anna Li was hoping to learn a kovacs
link about it The incredible gymnastics skill Anna Li wants to learn next - National Gymnastics | Examiner.com

3. the "counter swing 1/2 turn to low bar" is called an Ezhova

and 4. All of those "letter values" are for FIG, not JO. Nothing wrong with that just wanted to point it out. THey more or less follow the same progression in JO

Yep. But no one hugely known. Two 8 or 9 year olds at my gym. It's crazy that they're that young and doing them.

Really? Maybe I should tell dd's coaches that she should try it again? (NOT)

And not that there is anything wrong with your kids doing it but my dd's was simply a weird mistake going the wrong way over the bar.

Probably won't see a kovac for a while in WAG.

ok I was curious so looked this up. Is it a double tuck, but you go straight up essentially then grab the bar on the way back? It is a fabulous looking skill ... good luck to those trying it!

Wow, it would be almost impossible for an 8 or 9 year old child to generate enough on the force on the bar to successfully complete a kovacs. Didn't know those new soft rails were that great.

ok I was curious so looked this up. Is it a double tuck, but you go straight up essentially then grab the bar on the way back? It is a fabulous looking skill ... good luck to those trying it!

Yes. dd got lost in the air for a dismount and ended up on top of the bar but was obviously not trying to catch the bar... this is from her bar coach who then told me after the fact that she looked at the other coach and were both thinking this kovacs thing. But I am pretty sure in good spirits and not in that she should start training them, lol.

several points to add to this thread.

1. a bail and a shootover (also overshoot) are all the same, just different terminology

2. at one point Anna Li was hoping to learn a kovacs
link about it The incredible gymnastics skill Anna Li wants to learn next - National Gymnastics | Examiner.com

3. the "counter swing 1/2 turn to low bar" is called an Ezhova

and 4. All of those "letter values" are for FIG, not JO. Nothing wrong with that just wanted to point it out. THey more or less follow the same progression in JO

i can assure you that Anna has not done a Kovacs. and she is happily coaching now. :)

it's actually just a 1 1/2 somi. you let go and you've done a half somi from the bar and then 1 full somi back to your hands. capiche? when something is done from the hands it's a half. from the feet a whole.

Really? Maybe I should tell dd's coaches that she should try it again? (NOT)

And not that there is anything wrong with your kids doing it but my dd's was simply a weird mistake going the wrong way over the bar.

actually, no. she went the right way, just held on too long. going the wrong way over the bar is kinda an oxymoron. capiche?

Yep. But no one hugely known. Two 8 or 9 year olds at my gym. It's crazy that they're that young and doing them.

here we go. you're certifiably "flip obsessed". go spread your manure elsewhere. thanks. bye.:)

remember this post of yours?

flip_obsessed
user-offline.png
Join a Group! Join DateApr 2013Posts4Liked0 times
United%20States.GIF

[h=2]
icon9.png
I'm freaking out and I need someone's help.[/h]
Okay so I need to train more, but my dad only let's me go 3 days a week. The only time I can go everyday when I'm supposed to is if i stay at a friends house for at least 3 days. The gym is 50 minutes away, and I know that's hard. But I carpool with 2 other people so he doesn't even have to drive all the way! My dad yells at me all the time for doing gymnastics and it's not fair because i can't quit..it would kill me inside. I cry just thinking about it. What do I do?...he makes me feel so guilty..

so then, you want us to believe that you recognize what a Kovacs is?

Wow, it would be almost impossible for an 8 or 9 year old child to generate enough on the force on the bar to successfully complete a kovacs. Didn't know those new soft rails were that great.

i knew one of you would be astute enough to call bull$%^&. but you did it so nicely! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back