Coaches Bar Setting Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would appreciate any opinions regarding bar settings for a 5 ft 2 1/2 in gymnast.

My daughter is struggling with her giant. She can do them on the single rail from a cast and can do multiple in a row. She has had them for close to 2 years on uneven bars up until about 3 months ago.

Her coach has the bars at FIG setting. She feels they are too close. She is not working on straddling past the low bar and is expected to do them by piking past low bar. She states that her pike is messing her tap and she is really archy and can't make it over.
After speaking to her coaches they feel it is her cast (not coming down hollow into giant)that is the problem. They do not adjust the bars for anyone no matter their height. This is easier at meets and they should be able to make the giant.

What is your standard practice on bar settings. I appreciate any input as she is becoming very frustrated and loosing a great deal of confidence. :(

FIG should be spread far enough for her. But she probably needs to be doing straddle giants. She could make it doing a pike, but she she'll need a very strong tap and very good core strength to make the tap come over the bar. Tell her to visualize sticking her feet beyond the low bar as she taps so it can be a longer more powerful tap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back