WAG Bars cast to handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can help a confused 7 year old! She has been doing cast to handstand (straight to handstand, not straddle up) in a sort of dish shape for a while, and she is under the impression her normal coach wants her to do it that way. Her usual coach is on holiday for a couple of weeks, and the cover coach today told her to arch to get up - any idea which she should be doing? I should say that we are not quite sure that her usual coach wants her to dish up - it's just what she thinks, but after today she is unsure...

CuriousCate - 'Dish up', sorry, I just meant be in a dish shape on the way up.
Coachp - don't worry about it? As in it doesn't matter which way you do it? I thought most things had a right and wrong, and now she has two coaches apparently telling her opposite things and she is totally confused!

I think that people aren't understanding what you mean by dish shape. I'm guessing that possibly you are referring to hollow vs arched? I'm no coach; but I do understand from my kids that you are not supposed to be arched.

CuriousCate - 'Dish up', sorry, I just meant be in a dish shape on the way up.
Coachp - don't worry about it? As in it doesn't matter which way you do it? I thought most things had a right and wrong, and now she has two coaches apparently telling her opposite things and she is totally confused!
Her coach is on vacation , she will be fine .

Really... that can be a complicated question. After all here are three pics of Nastia on the same cast...

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 10.59.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 10.59.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 11.00.00 PM.png

The head coach of the program or your daughter should be the one that dictates how they want things taught / performed.

HAHAHA oh boy you have no idea of the can of worms this question is.

General consensus among women's coaches is that a cast should be done in a hollow shape. My personal opinion is that this consensus is stupid and an arch makes much more mechanical sense (unless you're working under the assumption that they'll be doing all their casts in a straddle).

BUT this is all tangential. If her usual coach says to do it in a hollow/dish, she should do it in a hollow/dish.

Thank you for all replies. OK, yes, hollow would be 'dish', sorry for the confusion!

And yes she would follow what her normal coach says, except that she wasn't totally sure she had understood her right. And ok, I thought this would be a simple answer to a simple question, which it sounds like it isn't! Unfortunately she is still too shy to ask her coach if she isn't quite sure of something, which can lead to misunderstandings, which is definitely something for her to work on. But it sounds like if she is under the understanding that her usual coach wants a hollow, she probably did understand her correctly, just yesterday's coach had a different technique...

Thanks for all your replies anyway!

HAHAHA oh boy you have no idea of the can of worms this question is.

General consensus among women's coaches is that a cast should be done in a hollow shape. My personal opinion is that this consensus is stupid and an arch makes much more mechanical sense (unless you're working under the assumption that they'll be doing all their casts in a straddle).

BUT this is all tangential. If her usual coach says to do it in a hollow/dish, she should do it in a hollow/dish.
The amount of strength required, especially quick twitch-type power, to do a cast without any arch at all is insane! I am of the belief that if an athlete shows a slight arch at the moment their hips leave the bar, but then adjusts their body into a straighter shape during the rest of the rise upwaqrds to the handstand, then that is perfectly sufficient. There is a specific physics concept at play here called transfer of momentum, and it requires the gymnast to immediately stop their heel drive right after their hips leave the bar, thus transferring all that energy from the heel drive into the whole body unit. If the gymnast is powerful enough to pull it off with a straight body the whole time, then sure, by all means reinforce the straight body position throughout, but it is definitely more efficient to move from a slight arch to a straighter position. Sometimes the Code of Points does not take into account biomechanics, physics, and efficiency of movement. It's annoying! :mad:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back