Parents Bars Progress (brag alert)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
We may have hit a turning point!! Both girls are doing better on bars and even my oldest is being more positive (although she still refuses to admit that she likes the new coach (aka The Miracle Worker)!!

Kelsey has been improving not only her giants, but most importantly her attitude! The girl who once stood socializing at the chalkbucket is now going up and taking extra turns at the bars when other girls are gabbing away and missing their turn! OK, I don't know who this child is, but I like her :D Her giants are looking better (straighter legs) and she has been working on her straddle back. Oh, and she's doing giant-giant-flyaway too, whereas she was afraid before and used to kip back up after the giant, take an extra swing, and then release.

Little Monkey - now that she has nailed the jumping to high bar, I don't think there's any stopping her. She has learned the L6 bar routine and last night she got her layout dismount all by herself. Earlier in the week she had been doing it into the pit onto a mat.

My concern about LM is that she is constantly grouped with the L4 and 5 because she is younger and small. I wrote in someone else's post that this is not necessarily a bag thing, and I stick by that. The problem is that we just found out that the other two L6 will be moving to the JOGA team at the end of the month which leaves LM by herself with 3 L5 and 9 L4's (7 of them just moved up from PT). I'm afraid she is going to get lost in the crowd because as much as they uptrain her, the other girls will require more attention. I went to discuss my concerns with the Program Director and before I could even speak, she said to me that she coached them for the first time tonight, and realized that LM does not belong in this group and is going to talk to HC about having her train with the Optional girls. While this would be good for her gymnastically, I don't know how it will work out socially - she will turn 9 next month. The youngest Optional girls are 11.5 and range up to 16 and of course, her sister will be there too! We'll have to wait and see.

Anyway...sending a big thank you to the BAR FAIRY!!!

Wow those are great stride, or swings maybe, forward for your girls, nice that Kelsey is feelign renergised by practice. Meet season can be long and someties soul destryoing for kids. My oldest had a rough one too, with her little sister bringing 5 medals home from each meet!

It sounds like there is no perfect fit for LM, either train with kids her own age and not have the best training for her skills or be with way older girls (and that's a big gap) and get the best training fit. I would hope for the move to the optional group and hope the older kids look on her a cute little sister and take care of her and have fun playing with her. My youngest who just turned 10 trains with our older girls one day a week the youngest is 12, they play with her, carry her about etc, it works very well for us.

I'll cross my fingers for her.

Last edited:
Wow !!!! What great progress on bars! I think LM may do well with the bigger girls. I have sisters in two of my classes that based on age should be in a different class, but their focus & listening skills are so much better than the other kids their age we moved them.

Sounds like great things going on for your girls, they should have an awesome summer! L6 season will be here before ya know it and then L8/9 creeps up right behind it!

As for LM, just hold tight and see how it all unfolds, things will settle and she will do just fine. Not sure how older sis will like having LM around - oh the dynamics - but these things have a way of working out on their own!

We'll see what happens. It may only end up being 1 or 2 days a week that LM trains with the older girls because on Tuesdays, the L4's do not practice so it's only a group of 4 (3 L5s plus LM) and they may keep them together which is not so bad. On Thursdays, that's the worst day because we have team, preteam, boys team plus open tumbling and cheering all working out at the same time. This would be the day that LM would definitely get lost in the shuffle of the L4's and preteam!

First of all - WHOOO HOOOOO what great news ! ! ! ! !

Do you think your older daughter will have a problem with LM in her group?

Jess was the youngest at her old gym by about 5 years. She was like the team mascot (good thing/bad thing) always being carried around etc. At the new gym she is grouped with level 5 girls that are 1-3 years older. She needs to be there because she has to score out of level 5 and she has to learn the routines. She's having a blast but not happy that as her old team mates come over to the new gym they are going into the higher groups because of their age. They don't have to score out - they can petition in.

Like I said she HAS to work level 5 to score out and she is having challenges with the USAG compusary rules - like she is lefty/righty and has to choose one or the other for the routines. She's doing floor lefty but had to reverse her backwalkover - good grief! I thin kbeam will end up righty? Once she got her backwalkover (needed a few spots) it looks nicer then the other side (maybe becuase she's concentrating so hard on it LOL)

Anyway, every night I remind her - make sure you do at least run of your silver stuff. But it's not always easy.

We'll see what happens over the summer

I just went completly off topic! sorry. I meant to just say CONGRATS, GOOD LUCK and I understand

LOL:D

Aren't there any other L6 girls she could practice with? That would seem to be the most logical solution. Sounds like she's going to be one of the younger/smaller ones no matter which group she ends up in, so why not at least have her with other girls at the same level. I can see the tension build a little having her train with her sister even if its only a couple of days a week.

Our HC had a similar idea this year for summer groups and its not working well. He has L7s training L8 with L8s training L9 and a couple of L7s with L9s training 10. My gymmie is somewhat in the same situation as your LM. She's in a group with 2 L7s and 2 other L8s. Ok, the L7s are doing bar drills to work on pirouettes, the other 2 L8s did pirouettes in their routines, but need to add a baile(overshoot), so they're working on those. My gymmie did the baile in her L8 routine, so she's lone girl out and ends up working by herself alot on going from hs on high bar to baile or bind drills. Sometimes she has to remind the coach what she needs to work on since she gets caught up with the others. These multi-level groups just don't seem to work well.

Way to go to both girls! My gymmie is about the same age as your older dd and you'll never get her to admit(willingly) that a little more practice plus a new approach to the bars made the difference. Its just not in their mindset at this age:)

Aren't there any other L6 girls she could practice with? That would seem to be the most logical solution. Sounds like she's going to be one of the younger/smaller ones no matter which group she ends up in, so why not at least have her with other girls at the same level. I can see the tension build a little having her train with her sister even if its only a couple of days a week. /quote]

I was going to ask the same question. It shouldn't matter what age she is, it should be based on her abilities at that level. We have a new level 6 girl, who just came up from the level 4 team. She turned 7 back in February I think but her skills are almost perfect. So she jumped right over L5. It kind of stinks for my dd because now there's another teammate her age that she'll have to compete against, that's very good. I just hope my dd doesn't get pushed aside to focus on this little one. She's a sweet girl and I have nothing against her but I feel bad for dd.

Anyway, sounds like your girls are doing much better. Your older dd should be proud of herself and her skills she's getting and in her attitude toward her little sister. I wish them the best for the coming season!

Aren't there any other L6 girls she could practice with? That would seem to be the most logical solution. Sounds like she's going to be one of the younger/smaller ones no matter which group she ends up in, so why not at least have her with other girls at the same level. I can see the tension build a little having her train with her sister even if its only a couple of days a week.

No, the other 2 Level 6 girls are quitting at the end of this month.

There Level 5 girls are just moved up from L4. One girl is her age (and also a twin :D ) and other girl is 10. The 3rd L5 girl competed L5 last yr but didn't score out to 6.

But the other issue is of these 3 girls, NONE of them are commited - i.e., they all miss 1-2 practices a week so there is no consistency in who LM is grouped with, unless it is with the 7's and up. The L7 girls are the ones that she started L4 with who were all "pushed up" while LM stayed back because of her age and size. I say "pushed" because they squeaked out of 5 and 6 (barely making the mobility scores) and last year they all struggled with L7.

So, will LM be the only L6 competing this year for your gym? That would be a pretty lonely season for her.

The good thing is that in NJ they changed the levels/seasons so 4-5-6 will compete in the fall, at the same meets, hopefully in the same sessions at least for the invitationals anyway. SHe is used to competing alone because she was always the only one in her age so for the past 3 years she has more often than not been alone especially at Sectionals and always at States. This past season some of the older girls would come and cheer her on.

So, will LM be the only L6 competing this year for your gym? That would be a pretty lonely season for her.
Wow, that's tough for a really young girl because the social aspect of being at the gym is pretty much gone. Sorry to hear that you're in a bind. Definitely happy for her accomplishments though.

Well, congrats to both your girls for their amazing progress on bars!

As for the situation with LM, it seems she is always at a tough spot with her age and skills. I hope that they keep her challenged and happy and that she has a great level 6 season.

That's awesome!!! Congrats to both girls. And glad LM is going to be pushed too--don't worry too much about social aspects. Beth is the youngest in her group, but socializes with the older girls--girls her sister's age (4 yrs older) with no problems.

Could they push her to level 7 this year? Sounds like she might be ready for it--especially if she's the only level 6!

don't worry too much about social aspects. Beth is the youngest in her group, but socializes with the older girls--girls her sister's age (4 yrs older) with no problems.
With all due respect, I have to disagree.

IMHO, ordinarily, the social aspect is the utmost important part for a 8-yo (maybe with the exception of a few who focus on nothing but the sport). Being in the same group with kids the same age (socially or in a sport) is the healthiest thing at such a young age. I know neither one of mine would stick with the sport (and other competitive activities) if none of their close buddies are there.

Generally speaking, being the baby-of-the group thing can get pretty old pretty fast. Either she will feel out of place eventually or she will resent being with others at her age.

Also, remember that these are girl gymnasts and their favorite things to do is to chitchat and gossip when they are not practicing. Do you feel comfortable with her listening or participating in preteen and teen conversations? How would you feel if your grade schooler was riding the bus with middle/high schoolers?

Last edited:
With all due respect, I have to disagree.

IMHO, ordinarily, the social aspect is the utmost important part for a 8-yo (maybe with the exception of a few who focus on nothing but the sport). Being in the same group with kids the same age (socially or in a sport) is the healthiest thing at such a young age. I know neither one of mine would stick with the sport (and other competitive activities) if none of their close buddies are there.

Generally speaking, being the baby-of-the group thing can get pretty old pretty fast. Either she will feel out of place eventually or she will resent being with others at her age.

Also, remember that these are girl gymnasts and their favorite things to do is to chitchat and gossip when they are not practicing. Do you feel comfortable with her listening or participating in preteen and teen conversations? How would you feel if your grade schooler was riding the bus with middle/high schoolers?

I understand your point and I have thought long and hard about this. However, both of my girls have been training with older girls and I have to say that in talking with the parents and getting to know the gymnasts, I am much more concerned about their school influences than the teammates'. Little Monkey has been with girls 10+ since she was 6 and on the level 4 team. Kelsey is only 12 and her teammates are all mostly 14+ . All of our levels train at the same time on certain days so it's not like LM NEVER gets to see the kids her age, however, the truth is that team kids her age are few and far between. Most come and are gone before they reach level 5. The older girls do not baby her, while they are nice to her, they treat her the same way they treat anyone else during practice time. She is just one of the girls, nothing special other than being short LOL.

LM trained with the L7's the other night. She didn't say anything good or bad other than she had fun. The Program Director asked why she is not L7 with the other girls she started with and I told her it was because she was not old enough the season they scored these girls out of L5. She said we should consider skipping L6 and I said we need to see how she does when L6 starts, and also whether she would feel too much pressure if she were moved up.

Thanks everyone, for your input.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back