WAG Beam BWO harder than BHS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

merritt

Proud Parent
Can anyone explain to me why a BWO on beam is harder than a BHS on beam? My D says that this is just a fact and she doesn’t understand why it doesn’t make sense to me.

To me, a BHS seems harder because they’re completely leaving the beam. Is the relative difficulty something that varies from gymnast to gymnast, or is it something I just don’t get because I was never a gymnast?

I think it’s pretty individual. My DD can do BWO-BWO successfully but can barely do a decent standing bhs on floor- beam would be an impossibility.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've never heard anyone say that a BWO on beam is harder than a BHS. I've always heard and thought it was the opposite. Now I have heard people say that a cartwheel is harder than the BWO. I imagine it does vary be person though. Most of the girls on dd's team got the BWO before the BHS and never really struggled with it. The BHS on the other hand did cause some of them trouble..mostly fear related from what I can tell.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've never heard anyone say that a BWO on beam is harder than a BHS. I've always heard and thought it was the opposite. Now I have heard people say that a cartwheel is harder than the BWO. I imagine it does vary be person though. Most of the girls on dd's team got the BWO before the BHS and never really struggled with it. The BHS on the other hand did cause some of them trouble..mostly fear related from what I can tell.

I appreciate the input! This is coming from my D (who was quite adamant and certain), so it may just be that she’s quirky this way. Wouldn’t be the first time :D

I appreciate the input! This is coming from my D (who was quite adamant and certain), so it may just be that she’s quirky this way. Wouldn’t be the first time :D
I’ve heard it from other girls too, so she’s not weird.. I just don’t know that there is much that’s standard in this sport! Ha!

I found a BWO on beam fairly easy however due to the fact that I don't have a lot of back flexibility they have started to become fairly difficult to do without my back hurting which usually causes my feet to not l and on the beam. On the other hand BHS doesn't require as much back flexibility therefore it is easier for me to do, however, unlike a BWO I feel like a BHS usually comes with some fears of jumping backward on a beam rather then just going for a BWO.

I’ve heard it from other girls too, so she’s not weird.. I just don’t know that there is much that’s standard in this sport! Ha!
I’m wondering, could it be a flexibility thing? My D is extremely flexible everywhere EXCEPT her back. Maybe the girls who find it harder have limited back flexibility?

I found a BWO on beam fairly easy however due to the fact that I don't have a lot of back flexibility they have started to become fairly difficult to do without my back hurting which usually causes my feet to not l and on the beam. On the other hand BHS doesn't require as much back flexibility therefore it is easier for me to do, however, unlike a BWO I feel like a BHS usually comes with some fears of jumping backward on a beam rather then just going for a BWO.
This makes sense, and I had posted this thought a few seconds after your reply. Thanks so much!!

I’m wondering, could it be a flexibility thing? My D is extremely flexible everywhere EXCEPT her back. Maybe the girls who find it harder have limited back flexibility?

My daughter is competing back handspring in Level 5 because she hates BWO. She has terrible shoulder flexibility and a long torso.

My daughter is competing back handspring in Level 5 because she hates BWO. She has terrible shoulder flexibility and a long torso.
My D has a long torso too! To the extent that we can only buy leos from brands that offer a long torso option.

I've always heard that BWO on beam can be difficult for some due to lack of flexibility in the back or shoulders. BHS has it's own demons though, so I would imagine that some girls would find that more difficult (read: scary).

I have heard that before (mainly on this site) but that has not been my DD's experience, or her teammates. They all had BWO on beam before BHS. And I totally agree with other poster that BHS on beam tends to be a fear issue more than a skill issue. But I think back flexibility is the problem. My daughter did a tumbling act in a play this winter, and many of the best tumblers in the act couldn't do a floor BWO, but had BHS, back tucks, etc. So it must be that BWO is just tough for some kids, even those with higher level tumbling skills.

@merritt Mine too says she thinks BHS is easier. I think its just individual to each kid and how they are made. Mine does BHS BHS while the rest of her team does BWO BHS.

Progressively, a BHS is more difficult than a BWO. The gymnasts almost always learn a BWO before a BHS. However, individual flexibility etc might make the BHS easier for some girls to do. Repetition is “easier” with BHS as well, doing multiple BWO over and over puts a lot of stress on the back especially for girls with limited shoulder flexibility who end up compensating with their lower back.

This! My dd feels the same way. She does walkover handspring and its beautiful but she hates the walkover for the same reason.
Mine is the exact opposite. She's super bendy and loves the BWO part of the BWO BHS because she feels if she goes slow, she can control it and ensure a better landing going into the BHS. I think the rapid fire BHS BHS (which she isn't doing) scares her like mad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back