Coaches Beam coaches how to get a kid to train through a connection she is Capable of doing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello Alexa is a level nine who has a front handspring to side Ariel connection. As you can see in this video she connected very well at states. But at regionals not only did she missed her connection but she also fell on her Ariel. Alexa doesn't. Want to go for her connection in practice. Often there are tears and pouring. We have Eastern are in three weeks. I have her doing Front handspring to cart wheel on beam to teach her the timing. She will go for each skill separately. She seems unwilling to go because she does not really get to see the beam for a good long moment. Before she goes. She's been very resistant to pushing herself. Any advice would be greatly appreciate it and thank you in advance.
As you can see by the video the connection is there but the consistency in meets is not there. And it will not be there unless I can get her to go consistently and practice

You need to bring her back to where she feels safe. On a low beam, or a middle beam, or even a high beam with mats stacked under it. She needs to do a bunch of reps. It may or may not be back in time for her next meet. Fear is a complicated thing.

Adding pressure of meet dates and adding deadlines only makes it worse in most cases. Come up with a back up plan (even if it means a slight decrease in SV), keep working through the fear with the preferred connection and keep your fingers crossed. ;)

Just have her do a different series. What about cartwheel step through to ariel . Then it will be progressive to ariel step through to ariel (or round off or side somi).

If there are tears every practice over this , it has gone too far, you might as well ditch it and do something else. I can't see a front handspring being very progressive and aren't you constantly in danger of it being given as a forwards walkover ? I'm sure it would be here.

I agree with other posts - front handspring (and front aerial) forward/side connections can be really difficult to get down consistently because it's almost blind. Even a lot of elites who do a front aerial-front/side aerial connection, or something like that, don't truly connect it because they take an extra second to see the beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back