beam fall and back up plan

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
My poor dd has been nailing every beam routine and did fine in the warm up. Then she goes to compete and she falls on her first back walkover of the series. She aparently mounted on the wrong side and had to do a half turn to get back on track. I think she confused herself. She said that if she fell on her series she thought she should do a handstand to back walkover. So she did that. But she did not get credit for the series and her start value was 9.5. She did the back handspring and everything else. So what should she do if she messes up the series? She has the back handspring but for some reason the back walkover, if she starts to rush, can get unsquared. Any thoughts on a backup plan?

Is she a level 7? to my knowledge if you a handstand back walkover it should count as a series. it is possible that she did not hold the handstand long enough(2 or 3 seconds i think) to get credit for the serires.

yes she is a level 7. She may not have held it long enough(IDK) I know she did not get credit because that is what the judge said to the coach. Last year she did front walkover backhand spring but coach wants her to work on bwo/bwo then bwo/bhs. She just got confused and turned herself around.

the handstand backwalkover series should count if she was to fall. I remember that is waht my coaches told us to do if we were to fall. that was 2 years ago so it was still under the same set of rules. maybe a judge can further help us with the question. but not holding the handstand long enough is the only thing i can think of as to why the series wouldnt count.

OK...there are a couple difference scenarios here.

If the series she is trying to do it BWO/BWO and she falls on the first BWO, her game plan depends on how she falls on the BWO. If she gets her feet on and then falls, she cannot do two more BWOs because she got credit for the first BWO, so the third one won't count. So, she should do a different series...handstand BWO works, but as someone else says, you have to hold the handstand for two seconds...which is a long time. Cartwheel, Cartwheel works...as well as a few other things.

If she is doing a BWO/BWO and doesn't get her feet on in the first BWO, she can try the entire series again, because the first BWO does not count for a skill since no feet landed on the beam.

If she is doing a BWO/BHS and falls on the first BWO she should try the series again (assuming it is typically solid)...the same goes for if she wobbles after the first BWO...she can just take a couple dancy steps forward and start over.

This can all be super confusing...which is why all of my optionals have to have a conversation with me when they fall during their series...then I can make the decision for them, rather than them trying to figure it all out in the middle of their routine. I also make that decision based on how consistent their series is...worst case scenario is falling on the first attempt and then not connecting and/or falling on the second...you can be in the hole 1.5 just by trying to make a split second choice.

my opinion is that a big deal should not be made about this. you fall, get back up and move on. it's level 7 and developmental. no strategy is necessary. eventually they won't fall.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back