Coaches Beam: Front Aerial to Rear support

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kalgymcoach

Coach
Judge
Just wondering if anyone has drills to teach the front aerial to rear support on the beam? Our Gymnast can land one on the floor. Any help would be appreciated.

One of my team mates did the front walkover version of that mount and was thinking of working up to the front aerial. Practicing with hands helps figure out where to land on the beam and how to pull it up with out falling backwards off the beam. It's a pretty fun mount; I tried it a couple times. :)

On the beam or as a mount? Personally I don't think on the beam is really "worth it" so to speak, just because you're limited in connection value (can't work out, harder to work in). Also not all that easy to land (my opinion though). If she isn't really quick at it, I'd probably spend the time working on a front salto to two feet, or a front aerial (to stand).

However my progressions for beam tend to be similar. Do the skill on floor UP to a panel mat - until they can do that easy, they're not ready for beam, because they need the "lag time" once they get up there. Put a panel mat at the end of a low beam. Start on beam, land on mat. Put another on top - start on beam, do the skill UP. Do the skill on padded low beam, etc, etc.

Awareness on beam - able to do forward roll to stand (no pushing off beam, no straddle), handstand forward roll, tick tock and front walkover.

For the entry of the skill I would reference the needle kick and back leg drive. But again I'd rather start working the front aerial or front toss with this stuff. If it's too hard for her to land, then improving the front aerial will only make the other skill better too.

We are trying to do the front aerial onto the beam as a mount, as this is the only flight element she feels comfortable with.

We are trying to do the front aerial onto the beam as a mount, as this is the only flight element she feels comfortable with.

Oh, okay. I don't know much about your requirements - under the USAG optional rules, in order to get a flight element on beam it has to start and finish on the beam. You could get bonus for a D mount (level 10) or a connection to a C mount (level 9 or 10). But it technically wouldn't be what we usually think of as a "flight element" or meet the requirement for the series, etc.

We are PCYC in Western Australia and in Level 8 (going from 1 to 10) starts needing a flight element. There is only 1 we can use as a mount otherwise they are all on the beam.

You mean the Aerial version of this?
YouTube - Allana Slater 2002 French International Beam

If I were to teach this I would start with practicing the take off in front of a crash mat on its side/ or barrel.
From there I would progress to the beam with plenty of matting. As accuracy improves reduce the matting. I would assume the ability to get the arms quickly to the beam is an advantage for stability and consistency of the element.
I am keen to hear if anyone has any tried and tested progressions or simply something more creative.

I have had someone compete this mount before. I taught it to her on a stack of mats off a board, then just had her go to the high beam with a big soft mat draped over it. I think I put the beam down a notch or two but for no more than her first few tries. When she went flying over I just told her not to kick so long like a front aerial, and sometimes when she was learning if she was a bit short on it just had to tell her to kick her leg and then sit up a bit and get ready to grab the beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back