WAG Beam Pad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sgymnast12

Gymnast
Does anyone know of a good beam pad? My gym does not have a throw type pad, and we are looking to get one as we have a couple people working back tucks, side aerials, etc. We would also use it on bars for bails/overshoots. My coach has told me to pick one out, so let me know which one is your favorite! :p

Gymnova do a green pad which is great for throwing over the beam or bars. We use ours a lot.

I'll see if I can find a link :)

They also do pads which you can attach to the beam via Velcro. They are the same colour and texture as the beam.

Gymnova do a green pad which is great for throwing over the beam or bars. We use ours a lot.

I'll see if I can find a link :)

They also do pads which you can attach to the beam via Velcro. They are the same colour and texture as the beam.
Thank you! Do they sell Gymnova in the U.S.? Coach told me Speith Anderson is very similar/ the same?

Thank you! Do they sell Gymnova in the U.S.? Coach told me Speith Anderson is very similar/ the same?

Ah, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one, although gymnova are the official supplier for the Rio Olympics so I'd imagine they do have a rep in the USA as the top Rio bound gymnasts will likely be training on gymnova equipment.

I'd guess your coach will know for sure though and the Speith-Anderson equipment may be cheaper in the states!

Yoga mats! :)
How do yoga mats work on beam? I'm kind of cautious when using non-regulatory gym equipment, as I had a nasty injury doing back tucks on a shady carpeted beam. Lol the beam wasn't at my gym, it was at a gym camp a couple years ago- terrible experience to say the least.o_O

We have used bath mats in the past too. Never thought about yoga mats!

The main reason I like the Velcro pads is that they look and feel like the beam, but there are definitely some cheaper options out there! :)

You'll have to pay attention to what kind of yoga mat you get, there are a lot of different kinds out there. Ours have a slip resistent bottom and are rather soft so they adjust to the beam. We have very limited financial resources, so we have to work with what we get, however if that's not a problem in your case get the green ones, they are great!
http://www.gymnova.com/us/
I don't like the velcro ones since I think they are a little bit slippy and in my expirience all velcro things start to wear out sooner than they need to.

Does anyone fold the yoga mat before putting it on the beam to make it thicker? I met a girl that did this once but I don't remember how she did it...

My gym just has one of those generic thin non-slip mats that you can put over all kinds of things (bars, beams, mini tramps, blocks/wedges into the pit, and all that). They're quite soft, so they drape nicely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back