Beam Shoes - Yes or No?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok in another thread you read about my DD's blisters on the balls of her foot. Lots of full turns on the beam and floor.

Well now DD is wondering if Beam shoes might be something she wants - she was hinting away at them after practice on Wed.

Our gym does allow the girls to wear the gym shoes (valut, floor, beam) but in all the years I've been with the gym I think I've only seen 2 girls use them.

They aren't cheap so I need opinions.
Worth it or not??
Advantages vs disadvantages?

interferes with proprioception. this is not good. they are not worth it long term but can be useful when learning certain tumbling elements, like punch fronts, where there is risk to crunch one foot on the other when landing. also reduces the forces to the feet from hard landings until they master whatever.

That's what I would say, too. If you're okay with the price, long practices spent mostly on turns would love the shoes. Then, the days before competition she could take them off and regain the feel of bare feet to the texture of the beam/floor. That way you'll avoid blisters. Still, they won't be getting much wear at all. Personally, I like to have the feel of the beam and I would say they aren't worth the price. Maybe instead she could wear a thin sock on one foot? Good luck!

I wore beam shoes (including in competition) and loved them. I had really sweaty feet and even chalk didn't help, so the shoes were a must. Unfortunately, I also have BIG feet and the shoes highlighted that. That meant that every toe pointed or not had attention drawn to it. I have coached a couple of gymnasts who chose to use beam shoes for other reasons. They did not seem to hinder the girls any and those girls loved their shoes as much as I loved mine. If I were you, I would ask your coach what he/she thinks.

I would avoid competing in them if you do end up purchasing; they are not well liked from an aesthetic view point. Perhaps just a rhythmic toe shoe would do the trick (not sure how they go on beam though). Terin Humphrey used to wear one toe shoe on floor for turns. The Floor/Vault shoes do make it trickier to turn on floor, as they are generally designed to give you more traction. I am not sure what the bottom of the beam shoes are like, however if they are like the floor/vault they will probably be more of a nescience. If it's just the turns, maybe the toe shoe would be good, less of a distraction, and cheaper!

Shoes

I would avoid competing in them if you do end up purchasing; they are not well liked from an aesthetic view point. Perhaps just a rhythmic toe shoe would do the trick (not sure how they go on beam though). Terin Humphrey used to wear one toe shoe on floor for turns. The Floor/Vault shoes do make it trickier to turn on floor, as they are generally designed to give you more traction. I am not sure what the bottom of the beam shoes are like, however if they are like the floor/vault they will probably be more of a nescience. If it's just the turns, maybe the toe shoe would be good, less of a distraction, and cheaper!

Shoes

Ok what is a toe shoe

Ok what is a toe shoe

The shoes worn by some GAGE gymnasts are actually the shoes rhythmic gymnasts use. They cover the ball of the foot and nothing else. A couple bands of elastic hold the shoe in place. I used one briefly but discovered that I actually didn't like how it felt on the rest of my skills so I chose to discontinue using it. You can order them through many gymnastics apparel catalogues.

My daughter has Foot Undeez for a dance class she took last summer. They basically cover the ball of your foot. Cost was under $40. Canadian. They also have a product called dance paws that might work for practising. I would check e-bay as everything seems cheaper there if you're interested.

Has your daughter tried chalk? If her blisters are being caused by friction between her feet and the beam, it might help for practice.

All the girls I know who wear beam shoes do it because their feet are so sweaty they slip off the beam.

As a former dancer, I can't help but wonder if a modern dancing shoe like this Discount Dance Supply or this Discount Dance Supply might help, while still allowing her to maintain an unbroken line.

Has your daughter tried chalk? If her blisters are being caused by friction between her feet and the beam, it might help for practice.

All the girls I know who wear beam shoes do it because their feet are so sweaty they slip off the beam.

As a former dancer, I can't help but wonder if a modern dancing shoe like this Discount Dance Supply or this Discount Dance Supply might help, while still allowing her to maintain an unbroken line.

No she hasn't tried chalk I'll suggest that to her. Right now we have the moleskin on the bottom of her foot with some tape if it starts to fall off. Seems to be working but if chalk can fix it that would be cheaper.

If you are interested in rhythmic toe slippers here are some websites: www.rhythmicgymnastics.com, www.rsgymsupply.com (both U.S), www.romsport.com, and www.bermosport.com (both Canadian). Sasiki is the most popular brand, but the others are good as well. We have had good luck with bleyer and romsport as far as them holding up well to practice. Read the descriptions, shoes designed for competition will not hold up to practice. Leather or microfiber is a personal choice. They should fit tightly so they don't spin on your foot when you turn. You will eventually blow out the toe on the top, but they can still be used for turning, just won't look so pretty :)

A girl at my gym wears 1 shoe because her toes on one foot are deformed and will bleed if there's too much friction. I have never seen it give her a problem.

maybe just wear one thin sock. Then towards the end she can do a few turns without it.

Sorry my typing is bad i sprained my typing hand yesterday.

Update

Well the blisters on the ball of her foot burst last night at practice when she was tumbling. So this AM it was off to the Dr to have them checked just to make sure all was well. She said they were fine but they needed to be protected. Leave the skin until it drys out then clip it off carefully. Ok after that a trip to local dance store and now DD has "Dance Paws" Similar to the footundeezes but the girl at the store said that the paws stay on better and last way longer.

HC wasn't crazy about her having them but I told her tough my DD's feet aren't going to be in pain and that messed up when this simple slip on thing will protect them. HC agreed for now but said she doesn't want her wearing them for competions. That I left alone for a battle another day. If they are allowed in competition and my DD is comfortable in them what difference does it make its not like she isn't a good toe pointer where somthing on her foot would enhance a bad foot. I think HC is just going to have to loosen up.

DD's foot just looks so awful but she says it doesn't really hurt just feels weird.

Aww that sucks. :(

She should at least wear them until her foot is all healed, I think. Your HC will need to deal with it, it's just a little thing after all.

Aww that sucks. :(

She should at least wear them until her foot is all healed, I think. Your HC will need to deal with it, it's just a little thing after all.

The HC doesn't have a choice but to deal with them at this point. Its way better than tape and she can do the beam and floor stuff without any more damage.

The new coach (who by the way seems to know sooooo much more than the HC for the optional levels) Told my DD at practice today that they were a good idea and that they do allow them in competition if she needs to wear them. DD thinks it makes the turns so much easier to do and doesn't hurt her foot I think she might be wearing them longer than it takes to heal up. either way that foot is going to take awhile to heal. Its like a big rip on the bottom of her foot.

Sounds like her foot would be uncomfortable! What a trooper to continue training! Hoping the Dance Paws do their magic :)

I think it will really depend on the gymnast. One of my old teammates had sweaty feet and was sick of using chalk, she got expensive beam shoes, and the first time she put them on and got on the beam she hated them. It seemed to make it harder to stay on, and grip with your toes, and it seemed slippery for her. Maybe she could try tape around her toes? I've seen some gymnasts do that, I think Shawn Johnson tapes her toes for beam, but I'm not sure her purpose.

If she gets used to the beam shoes, it'll be hard to switch back. Good luck!

Shawn's toe tape is to prevent a crack that forms where her big toe meets her foot. I get it too, mainly from series on beam. I tape my toe the same way Shawn tapes hers, and it has helped a lot...as has Burt's Bees foot creme! Magic stuff!!!!

I think it will really depend on the gymnast. One of my old teammates had sweaty feet and was sick of using chalk, she got expensive beam shoes, and the first time she put them on and got on the beam she hated them. It seemed to make it harder to stay on, and grip with your toes, and it seemed slippery for her. Maybe she could try tape around her toes? I've seen some gymnasts do that, I think Shawn Johnson tapes her toes for beam, but I'm not sure her purpose.

If she gets used to the beam shoes, it'll be hard to switch back. Good luck!

she tried the tape and that just didn't work for her it kept bunching up and the sticky side would show after a few turns. The dance paws seem to be doing the trick. It only goes over the ball of her foot and that part is a lightweigt leather on the bottom and stretch material everywhere else. So it isn't like a whole beam shoe. She got the original basic style. If you want to see them you can go to Dance Paws product information

Sounds like her foot would be uncomfortable! What a trooper to continue training! Hoping the Dance Paws do their magic :)

so far they seem to be working. She says her foot doesn't hurt with these on. Of course I also have a big bandaid on under them to help keep it clean.

She is supposed to be going to the tide pools at the ocean today with school. I let her teacher know about the blisters as the salt water may not be comfortable for her. Nothing like a little salt in the wounds. We got this product from Bandaid made for blisters its supposed to be water proof. Its like a rubber/plastic type thing you put right over the blisters. I'm hoping it will do the trick today so she can go into the tide pools.

Don't know how they are going to manage as the atlantic Ocean in NH at this time of the year is FREEZING!! and its only about 60 today and usually is colder at the shore.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back