Beginner boys

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

heatherncastro

Proud Parent
My son just started gymnastics about 6 months ago. He really loves it , and his coach says he's doing great. He is 7 , going to be 8 in April . I just want him to have fun , and try his best. Anyway , he's really trying on that cartwheel but just can't seem to get his legs straight lol ., how long does it typically take to get it down ? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

Longer than you would think, but in retrospect no time at all! The whole point of gymnastics seems to be to make really difficult things look smooth and easy, and a really good cartwheel is harder than it looks. But if he keeps working on it, it will come. His coach should be able to help him get it within the time frame that's right for him.

When DD started preteam, she couldn't even do a cartwheel, much less a nice one. Fast forward about a year to her first year of competition, and she was doing one on the balance beam.

Really? Wow that's great for her :) .. Yeah your right because he's really learned a lot in just the 6 months .. Heck on his first day he couldn't even do a forward roll . The reason I was asking about the cartwheel is because one of my " Facebook friend " had seen a video I had posted, and made a nasty comment about it. She was basically telling me that he needs to " find a new sport".

One thing you will learn is that you have to kind of filter out comments from others, especially if they are not in the gymnastics world (and quite often if they are!) If your son loves what he is doing, and wants to be there, then that is all that matters. that is the key. Good luck to your boy! hope he continues to love this sport :)

Your 'friend' is absolutely right. It's vitally important that our children only ever take part in sports they can excel at instantly and not the ones they enjoy and work hard to improve at...:rolleyes:

What complete nonsense!!! I hope you 'unfriended' her... or maybe leave it and allow her to enjoy future progress reports about how well he is doing and how much fun he is having.

He'll get his cartwheel at some point :)

I know this post is a few weeks old, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. My son joined the team last year, when he was 5 (and had been doing rec for about 9 months). He couldn't do a cartwheel to save his life. Forget straight legs. He couldn't even get the concept of turning his hips around to face the original starting point. Just kept facing forward and fell over every time. I have a video from last August showing him doing that. By his first comp in November, he could at least land the cartwheels, but his legs remained very bent. By states in March, it was exponentially better. He still doesn't have perfect form, but it is so much cleaner. For him I think it's a combination of general body awareness (or lack thereof) and a lack of flexibility. The improvement seems to come so slowly, but when I look at the progress he's made just in the past 4 months, it's amazing. Good luck to your son! He'll get it soon, and then he'll move on to the next challenge.

Yeah you are right .. People can be so rude .. As long as he loves it , that's what matters .
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1396648389.573673.jpg

I know this post is a few weeks old, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. My son joined the team last year, when he was 5 (and had been doing rec for about 9 months). He couldn't do a cartwheel to save his life. Forget straight legs. He couldn't even get the concept of turning his hips around to face the original starting point. Just kept facing forward and fell over every time. I have a video from last August showing him doing that. By his first comp in November, he could at least land the cartwheels, but his legs remained very bent. By states in March, it was exponentially better. He still doesn't have perfect form, but it is so much cleaner. For him I think it's a combination of general body awareness (or lack thereof) and a lack of flexibility. The improvement seems to come so slowly, but when I look at the progress he's made just in the past 4 months, it's amazing. Good luck to your son! He'll get it soon, and then he'll move on to the next challenge.

Thank u ! That makes me feel better:) .. He is trying so hard ..but I have seen the improvements :) slowly but surely :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back