Coaches Beginners re-gripping one hand at a time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

azara

Coach
Gymnast
Hi all, very new coach here. I'm an assistant coach for beginners at the moment, and I'm still learning how to explain things and give corrections in a way that makes sense to the kids (who are 5-7 yo).

One thing I've noticed on the bars rotation is that several of the gymnasts, when doing tucked glide swings, are re-gripping with one hand at a time. They don't yet understand the motion to push away from the bar, so of course if they let go with both hands, they fall off. I've tried to explain the movement as a shrug, which is how I personally think of it, but it's not quite accurate and I'm hoping for a better explanation.

How would you explain it, and do you have any simple drills we could try out? Or should I just let the kids keep trying, and wait for them to get it with time? Of course, hollow shape and a stronger swing should help with re-grips, but those are harder to achieve if the one-handed re-grips are themselves creating swings at an angle and loss of momentum.

Many thanks, azara

Spotting helps them understand the concept. Support them with on hand on their front and one hand on the back and lift them off for each swing so they understand the action. At this age they are usually light enough.

You can have them practice the motion without a swing too. Have them stand at a bar that is low enough and just practice the regrip action.

Make sure they get to see it done as well. Each time yiu explain the activities either demonstrate it or have a kid who can do it demonstrate it. Most kids learn better if they see it, while the demonstration is going on have them watch the hands, point to the spot you want the kids to focus on.

Thank you, @Aussie_coach. Some very helpful suggestions there!

I particularly like the idea of practising the . I'll have to check with my supervisor and main coach about spotting, because this gym doesn't seem to use it for the recreational groups much (they are more "hands-on" with the developmental and team gymnasts). I agree that it would be a great idea, but I don't think it'll happen.

However, I really like the idea of having them practise the re-grip without swinging. We have a lower bar that would be useful for that. And I'll suggest to the coach that we have a demonstration, next time!

I think showing things to that age group is often more beneficial than explaining. I typically point it out, ask if they can feel their hands moving at different times, and tell them to work at sliding them both at once. Then I'll demonstrate the motion just standing by the bar and have them show me the motion while standing on the floor as well.

It's a timing thing. If your body is still on the counterswing and you release the bar or relax your grip too much- you'll go flying off backward. And some kids who are off-time but also instinctively know they need to regrip the bar (or have been told) will regrip one hand at a time because their young brain is trying to get the best of both worlds- regrip so they don't slip; yet also not let go of the bar. So one hand hangs on for security and dear life; the other hand is doing what the body instinctively knows needs to be done in order not to go flying off the bar. ;):)

I sometimes hang onto both their wrists and help them find the timing of when to regrip (and I also discourage the hopping of the hands form of regripping.....at some point and usually sooner than later. :))

@coachmolly, thanks for your input. Some of them know, and for the others, I do point it out. I'll certainly ask them to practice without the swing, so they understand the motion better.

@wordsmith, holding onto the wrists is a great suggestion, thank you. These kids don't have it instinctively, which is probably why their timing is off, but it will likely help anyway.

I only know the hopping method for re-gripping (I assume you mean where the hands are momentarily pushed completely off the bar just before the top of the back swing, and then re-grasp on the initiation of the forward swing). It's all I've ever been taught, or seen done. What is the alternative, out of interest?

Personally I would not be worrying too much about the re-gripping with this skill for beginners. I would have them start standing on a block in their dish shape, and have them swing and return to stand on the block ideally landing in their start position, or self correcting to the start position. If they can do this well I would encourage them to start sliding their hands back to the top of the bar before landing on the block as an introduction to re-gripping. There are many interpretations of how to do the skill and some are very difficult for the level of the athlete, such as the foundation level one where it is basically tap swings with bent knees they are asking for. You have to ask yourself why am I using this skill progression, what am I trying to teach? if it has been set as a task by the program, ask the HC what they expect so you know what to focus on as every program is different. I see the tuck swings as a basic introduction to swinging with the chest away ( a strong tuck position makes this easier for beginner gymnasts), I use other drills to teach the tap of swings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back