WAG Beginning a Competitive Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello Everyone!

I've seen so much knowledge and experience on this site I knew it should be the first place I turn. I am beginning a competitive program at my gym. The gym has been a very successful recreational gym for 17 years, and we have a lot of coaches with USAG experiences competing as well as coaching.

My main question is kind of broad...I was looking for any advice anyone may have for a first year program. I have a very large todo list, and there's always a possibility of missing or overlooking something.

So I would love to have this thread to turn to for any possible help!

Thank you all and I hope I can pay back the favor with any help I can offer!!

Coach Jess

You say you're starting a team program at your gym as if you are the owner, or is my gym just a phrase. Knowing a bit about your position, and resources, facility and otherwise, might help. I'd love to help in any way possible, but don't want to write a book if all that's needed are a few paragraphs. Can you get things started by letting all know what's on your to do list either on the thread or through private messaging.

Start small.....

I would say, set your expectations for the team at the beginning. Think long and hard about how you want your program to run in the future because it's easier to do this from the get-go than to change an already existing program.

This includes things like move-ups, skill development, practice structure, gymnast expectations, coach expectations etc.

I agree with JBS. Start small. I started a competitive program 4 years ago. I have a very small gym and we are in a small town so this was easy to do. I only had the gym available for a few hours each week so I knew we had to keep the numbers low to be successful. When I started I knew I wanted my team to be successful at meets and that was more important than large numbers. You have to decide what your priority is. You also have to keep in mind that the more kids you have the more coaches you need. In my area qualified coaches are hard to find. We started competing just AAU and then last year we started competing USAG.
Have rules and policies in place before you start. It is very difficult to go back and regain control. You will of course want to make changes but I started very strict and it has definitely paid off. I would and still do listen to parents questions and concerns and answer them very honestly. With it being a new program I did not always know the answers but i would find them and get back to them. Parents seemed to respect this. You cannot allow them to make the decisions for you. I have seen that in other gyms and it is a quick path to destruction, hurt feelings and disagreements among your parents.
Let me know if you have any specific questions I can with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back