WAG Beginning Competitive Gymnastics at 14?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello, all--I'm new here, and I wanted to ask about what it would take to get into competitive gymnastics as a 14-year-old beginner. Obviously, I know I'm not going to make it into the Olympics or really get to that level, but while in recovery from an eating disorder I discovered that dance/strength training were very effective outlets for me. My cousin (who is a USAG level 3 gymnast) introduced me to gymnastics, and I found it to be just the most incredible thing for my body and my mind.
Over the course of the past two weeks, I've managed to get a flat left splits and an almost flat right splits, and learned how to do the cartwheel, roundoff, and one-handed cartwheel. I can also do multiple pull-ups/chin-ups, and I'm very close to holding a handstand and doing a backbend. I know I pick athletics up quickly; I made high school varsity cross-country as a freshman while only being allowed to participate in half of the practices (doctor's orders; I spent three weeks of the summer in the hospital for multiple surgeries). I know that I really, really want to do gymnastics competitively. and that I've fallen in love with the sport--I just don't know if it's possible to become a competitive gymnast with such a late start.
I've found a gym close to me, and I hope to start taking rec classes this month; I just want to know as much as I can about where this path could take me before I really start on it (as I'll probably have to find a way to pay for classes myself, at least until I start competing).
What would you guys say about a fourteen-year-old newbie? Do you think that I could reach levels 4-5 eventually, or maybe even higher? And do you have any advice as for how I could build strength and skills to have a chance at getting to compete?
Thank you so much for reading this, and if you do choose to answer, I'd really appreciate it!!!

You are never to old to start gymnastics! As a matter of fact many gyms offer adult recreational classes.
If your goal is to compete, I would look for a gym that is open to letting older girls start competing. It may take a while before you are ready to move from classes to team but it's very possible. Xcel is a great program for older girls who want to compete, and it's also less strenuous hours, leaves room for other activities.

Yes it is totally possible. I have known older gymnasts to get to level 7 relatively easily, natural body awareness and ability helped for sure.

Look for a gym with Xcel programs as they tend to be easier to get in to for competitions and are more fun for older gymnasts. Everyone gets their own floor music and routines too.

Congrats on your recovery and on finding a new passion to keep your body strong and healthy.

Bog beat me to it but I totally agree...find an Xcel team as it's very well suited to your needs...has older gymnasts who can have their own routines ( versus the drudgery of getting through compulsories as a new teen gymnast) and will give you the camaraderie of a team setting. Good luck with it!

You're only 14 and gyms can be quite pricey , especially if you have to pay for it yourself (your parents can't/ won't help?) You might want to look into a YMCA program in your area as well as they tend to be more reasonable price wise and have their own competitive leagues....you could also apply for a scholarship through the Y to help defray the costs...

Go for it! After all, Oksana is three times your age :) Don't let that stop you. However, you might want to look at Xcel, as I am about your age and, as an upper compulsory, I tend to feel a little old for my level.

I second the suggestion to take a look at Xcel as that program might be right up your alley! It's generally a little more low key and offers more flexibility to a wider age and ability range. We are not a "snob" gym by any means but we direct older gymnasts towards Xcel because it's usually a better fit for them with school work etc.

That said, a few years ago (when DD was a L4) we were at a large meet watching the L3 session finish up before DDs session. There was one girl competing L3 that was clearly years older than anyone else out on the floor, I would put her at age 14-16. She went out there and rocked that L3 floor routine even though she was twice the height and age of her teammates! It was really amazing and I cheered so hard for her when she finished even though I didn't know her at all. It took serious guts to put herself out there like that and compete!

Go for it! Although it is unusual, one of my girls started late and has gone from never stepping into a gym to training L8 in two years. She conditioned a lot. That's been the biggest thing that helped her. She works hard on building her strength at home as well as in the gym. Find a great gym willing to give you a shot and give it your all! Good luck!

Never too late. Go for it. Try not to look too far ahead or worry how far it will take you. If you are enjoying it and continue to grow, you've already won. However to answer your question, depending on the coaching, your hard work and natural abilities, Level 4 or 5, even 7 and 8 are possibilities; and as everyone suggested, excel msy be the way to go for you.

My daughter's gym had an 11-year old Level 2 compete last year; she's competing Level 4 this year; will likely score out and possibly compete at Level 6 early next year. No formal gymnastics training whatsoever.

I agree with others who have said that Xcel would be the perfect place for you! Good luck, it is definitely not too late!

I started competitive gymnastics at 13 and was always quite noticeably the oldest at competitions, until I got to optionals. Started old Level 4 at age 13, got up to Level 7 at age 17 by the end of high school.
There's no shame in taking a different path to competitive gymnastics than other girls. In fact I wish that path were more open to more kids.
In my experience the lower competitive levels were easier to pick up on since I had better body awareness and could focus better than my younger teammates. When I got to optionals I think the physical limitations of being older started to inhibit my progress, as well as the low expectations of my new head coach.

The only thing I would say is that if you do eventually do competitive gymnastics, you have a lot of risk factors for getting injured or otherwise unhealthy especially if you're training with kids who are much younger than you. You've had an eating disorder, you've had multiple surgeries, and there are some things that can be harder or more stressful for a teenage body than for a child's. You want to be careful and listen to your body and mind, so as to prevent an injury or triggering a relapse. Best of luck though!

Yes, you definitely can! I started gymnastics when I was 15 and although I don't compete I absolutely love doing it and I've learned skills. I don't know how Xcel works, but I get the impression it's perfect for people like you and me!

You'll likely learn quickly, because you will have coordination, body awareness, and concentration that most kids don't have. However, you may find you're a bit more particular about what you can and can't do. For example, I'm good on floor and beam, but, I absolutely cannot do bars. So I have level 4/5 (front) skills on floor, and I can't do a level 1 pullover to save my life. If you're really motivated to compete, though, I'm sure you can work through that.

The best thing about gym at an older age is, I still feel like I can get better. When I started, I thought there was no way I'd ever be able to do a punch front or a handspring, but now I realise that people think the "cap" on skill level for older gymnasts is a lot lower than it really is. You can certainly reach optional level with a bit of hard work and determination :)

Good luck!

ETA just had an important thought. You're older, so your strength will be probably be lower comparative to your size than the very young kids (that's just part of the joys of growing up, lol). The stress on our joints from doing things wrong - that is, not landing properly, having poor technique, and so on - is greater than when you're five and six years old. So although you don't have to have great form, good technique is a must to avoid injury!

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded!!! I just wanted to give an update--I went to an open house at my local gym today, and got to explore some of the different events. All the coaches were super amazing, and they even taught me how to do a pullover and a back hip circle today on the uneven bars (I don't know how I picked it up that quickly, but I think my conditioning has paid off). I have my first lesson on Tuesday, and I am so excited to start gymnastics!! Hopefully I'll be able to compete at some point next year. :)
Once again, thank you. I'm not certain as to why, but gymnastics has become the best emotional outlet I think I've ever had. I feel so much better after completing a workout, I don't count calories anymore, and I don't even weigh myself. I really appreciate your help in finding a gym, and I can't wait to continue on this journey I've begun!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back