WAG Beginning of summer or end of summer to determine level for following season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym decides right before summer, in mid-May. We finish up our current level, have our week-long camp, and then the following week starts the new Level. They get divided into their new level at camp so they get a chance to do all sorts of fun things (crafts, water time, games, etc.) together before they officially start as a team in regular practice.

We don't start competing until late fall, so def. End of summer or early fall.

Our season ends at the start of April. April and May are spent with the team uptraining. They move the girls into their new workout level groups at the start of June. These are the levels they expect they will compete in the winter. (Our season starts in December). But, some moves will happen at the end of August when they switch to fall scheduled. If a girl progresses faster or slower over the summer or if their maturity requires it, they will move up or down at the end of August.

To give an idea, last season 1 l4 moved yo to l6 at the end of summer, 2 moves back to l3 and one moved to Excel in a group that started June with 14. (And 1 l3 moved yo to l4).

Usually at the beginning of summer. As a matter of fact, we all received a letter with suggested hours for summer that had our child's somewhat projected level. (My kid of course is one of the ones whose level is still uncertain......). However, some girls were moved to L5 after states and then moved into optionals before spring break. All girls have been moved up. We have no repeaters this year.......yet. We all got an email stating that some girls were not gaining skills and may need to stay at their previous level. We only have about 8 weeks before first competition.

Our meet season is in the fall. They pass out move up letters in December, right before Christmas break and the girls start with their new level when they come back in January. That is their level for the following meet season.

Levels are finalized in Dec just before our season starts but everyone has a pretty good idea where they will be by the end of summer. Summer training groups are kinds of a level 3, 4 and 5 work together for the most part and then all of the optionals work together. This lets each gymnast work on the skills they need within a wide range without having to change times and days.

We don't know quite yet. Some training groups are being rearranged next week (school just ended) but nothing is set in stone. I think last year it was decided by the end of summer. Our season begins in January and ends in late April.

Our girls will know their levels / divisions at the beginning of August... it doesn't really matter before that since they ALL practice at the same time.

S0me girls know they HAVE to move up. Others know that they will be repeating... and the rest are uptraining to see if they can get the skills to move up. If they don't, they will repeat.

In August, we will also start jr. high team practice (Modified Xcel Gold rules - 9.7 SV all high school bonuses observed... some Xcel Platinum SR). Of those girls competing Jr. high, they can choose to go back to their JO levels after the jr. high season OR compete Xcel Gold. We have 3 that are pretty sure they will do Gold and 1 who's mom is on the fence. She will either stay with Gold until she gets the skills for L5 or she will go back to L4.

They seem to decide in July which training group girls will be in for the following year, and how many days/ hours each girl will train. As for levels.. Since our gym dropped Xcel now, and has minimal JO girls it's a little different- USAIGC allows for competing different apparatuses at different levels.

Since we are moving in July, and will 100% not be competing USAIGC next year, they are attempting to just train my DD to be ready for tryouts in JO and Xcel. For now, they put my DD with the current Xcel silvers some days, and the USAIGC bronzes others, and bumped her hours way up... Whatever that means. Lol.

Gymnastics is confusing- I say go with it, however they do it must have a reason, and at least here nothing is set in stone.

Groups tend to shift based on loose level projections for summer training then things may shift again when school year hours start again in September. Levels of competition aren't determined until meet registration begins and it is not unheard of, but not common either for girls to move up mid season if registrations are still open or flexible. Basically, each girl continues to uptrain year round and compete the level the can be successful at at the time.

For us, summer training groups are determined in May - usually it will be with the next group up from the level the competed unless it is obvious the girl needs to repeat. Our 8-10s train together so they can uptrain as much as possible. A final decision may not be made until late fall or even right before the season starts...our girls usually compete the first meet as whatever level they were the previous season, just to get back into the swing of things. Lower levels are usually set in stone once the season starts, but they are very good about moving girls optional girls up once they have the skills needed, even if it is a few meets into the season. For optionals, the expectation is that no one moves up until they can expect to qualify for and be successful at Regionals at the new level by the end of the season.

End of the season, beginning of summer, mid-summer, end of summer, before the first competition.

Depends on who is ready when, I guess!! But I would say the "bulk" of the placements are made early fall 1-2 months before first competition.

The girls train all summer as the next level up. They push had to get the skills needed, if they don't have the skills, they compete the level they competed the year before...but continue to train up for the next level.

Girls: compulsories beginning of summer if it's really clear that a girl needs to have another year in level, end of summer if not. For optionals, as late as October for a meet season that starts in December, but more usually end of summer.

Boys: when the coaches finish their bickering and tell us.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back