Beijing Olympic Gymnasts other than US???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just curious--with all this talk about the US Olympic Trials and our girls, who are some of the women gymnasts to look out for in Beijing that are not from the US? I wanted to check out their routines on youtube but can't really find anyone. If anyone can throw some names at me that would be great!!!

Sorry I'll fix this in a second!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well China's got Cheng Fei and He Kexin who are definitely ones to watch. Italy's Vanessa Ferari too. Not sure what Jade Barbosa of Brazil has been up to since 2007 worlds, but she had an awesome vault there. I'm a big fan of Ksenia Semenova's bars (Russia). There's a lot more of course, but those are some of my favorites! Oh yes...and Elizabeth Tweddle as well! Oh sorry I also forgot Dasha Joura and pretty much all of the Australians are so cute.

British girls to watch, though their team has not yet been named.

Beth Tweddle
Becky Downie
Becky Wing
Marissa King
Imogen Cairns
Laura Jones
Hannah Whelan

France teams

WAG :

Pauline Morel
Marine Petit
Laëtitia Dugain
Cassy Véricel
Marine Debauve
Katheleen Lindor
alt : Rose-Eliandre Bellemare

MAG :

Pierre-Yves Bény
Benoît Caranobe
Yann Cucherat
Gaël Da Silva
Dimitri Karbanenko
Danny Rodrigues
alt : Thomas Bouhail

Here's the real question: who will actually be seen by the millions of nbc viewers?

German WAG

Chuso, Bijak, Brinker, Hindermann, Abel and Moebius? With Bui alternate?

MAG

Philipp Boy
Fabian Hambüchen
Robert Juckel
Marcel Nguyen
Eugen Spiridonov
Thomas Andergassen

That was kind of rhetorical...we all knew what the answer would be.

Romanian team just announced.

Olympics-Gymnastics-Izbasa and Nistor head Romania team | Reuters

BUCHAREST, June 26 (Reuters) - European champions Sandra Izbasa and Steliana Nistor will head Romania women's team at the Beijing Olympics in August, coach Nicolae Forminte said on Thursday.
Izbasa, who turned 18 this month, was a member of the Romanian team who won the silver medal at the 2006 European championships in Volos, Greece. She also won the floor title.
Nistor is the most experienced member of the Romanian squad. She was a double silver medalist at the all-round contest and on the balance beam at the 2007 world championships.
Forminte told reporters there were no surprises in the team.
"Anamaria Tamarjan, Gabriela Dragoi, Andreea Acatrinei and Gabriela Grigore were also appointed in the team, while Daniela Druncea was picked as a substitute," he said.

WAG
Australia: Daria Joura, Shona Morgan, Lauren Mitchell** Ashliegh Brennan**

Brazil:Jade Barbosa, Daniele Hypolito, Daiane Dos Santos, Ethiene Franco, Lais Souza, Ana Claudia Silva.

France: Pauline Morel, Marine Petit, Laëtitia Dugain, Cassy Véricel, Marine Debauve, Katheleen Lindor, Rose-Eliandre Bellemare*

Germany: Oksana Chusovitina, Marie Sophie Hindermann, Katja Abel, Anja Brinker, Jolene Mobius, Daria Bijak Kim Bui*

Japan: Kyoko Oshima, Yuko Shintake, Yu Minobe, Miki Uemura, Koko Tsurumi, Mayu Kuroda, Momoko Ozawa* He Xuemei*

Single/Double qualifiers: Stefani Bismpikou (GRE) Nastassia Marachkouiskaya (BLR) Dorina Böczögő (HUN) Natalia Sanchez (COL) Marisela Cantu (MEX) Jop Hyun Joo (KOR) Marta Pihan (POL) Gaelle Mys (BEL) Tina Erceg (CRO) Annamari Maaranen (FIN) Jessica Lopez (VEN) Nikolina Tankoucheva (BUL) Ivana Kovacova (SVK) Sherine El Zeiny (EGY) Jelena Zanesvkaja (LTU) Thuong Do Thi Ngan (VIE) Hong Su Jong (N KOR) Hong Un JONG (N KOR) Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs (CAN) Nansy Damianova (CAN) Adela Sajn (SLO),Suzanne Harmes (NED) Heba Moustafa Abd El Naby* (EGY)

MAG

France: Pierre Yves Beny, Benoit Caranobe, Yann Cucherat, Gael da Silva, Dimitri Karbanenko, Danny Rodrigues, Thomas Bouhail*

Germany: Fabian Hambüchen, Philipp Boy, Robert Juckel, Marcel Nguyen, Eugen Spiridonov, Thomas Andergassen; alternates Robert Weber, Helge Liebrich

Japan:
Hiroyuki Tomita, Takehiro Kashima, Kohei Uchimura, Koki Sakamoto, Makoto Okiguchi, Takuya Nakase

Single/Double qualifiers: Jordan Jovtchev (BUL) Anton Fokin (UZB) Filip Ude (CRO) Jose Luis Fuentes (VEN) Epke Zonderland (NED) Martin Konecny (CZE) Iilia Giorgadze (GEO) Leszek Blanik (POL) Mitja Petkovsek (SLO) Róbert Gál (HUN) Koen Van Damme (BEL) Sascha Palgen (LUX)Samuel Simpson (AUS) Alexander Shatilov (ISR) Mohamed Serour (EGY) Jorge Hugo Giraldo (COL) Nashwan Al Hazari (YEM) Daniel Keatings (GBR) Louis Smith (GBR) Diego Hypolito (BRA) Luis Rivera (PUR) Sami Aalto* (FIN), Wajdji Bouallegue* (TUN)

I remember watching Oksana Chusovitina in 1990 when she competed for the Soviet Union in the Goodwill Games!!! Now she is a German citizen. I can't believe she is now 33 years old, a mother of an 8 yr old son and is still competing!!!! That is sooo awesome! I read that her son was diagnosed with ALL leukemia and they moved to Germany for treatment. I believe he is doing fine now :).

You should try and find the BBC coverage on youtube, the commentators drive me nuts but they usually show most routines.

Vanessa Ferrari- I hope she sticks the Comaneci bars. She didn't once at Worlds and its such a cool skill. And she was the 07 world champion.
Beth Tweddle- Yay Beth!!! F skill on bars!!! Actually the whole British team rock:p
Ksenia Semanova- her beam is INCREDIBLE!!!

Im highly surprised noone has mentioned Nastia Liukin. She is going to be the champion. Im from Australia supporting the US gymnasts :p

Has carly patterson retired?

Im highly surprised noone has mentioned Nastia Liukin. She is going to be the champion. Im from Australia supporting the US gymnasts :p

Has carly patterson retired?

The thread was about gymnasts not from the US. Also, my two cents' worth: Nastia(love her to death) is not an all-around gymnast. Her vault kills her. And yes, Carly Patterson retired and tried to be a singer...

Apparantly Carly is still trying to sing.....;)

Regarding Choussovitina - indeed she is amazing - and yes her son is doing fine now. He just needs to go to check ups every once in a while - he is in second grade at school now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back