Parents Being a gym parent is not for the faint of heart

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
Dd is level 7.

She has had a knee injury and has been sidelined all season. She competed one full meet back in January. She missed two meets completely and competed only beam and bars on two more.

The orthopedic surgeon gave her permission to compete state this weekend, as long as she could tolerate the pain. (She qualified for state at the one full meet she managed in January). He said she wouldn't be able to take the pain of jumping and landing, so no vault or floor again. Her meet was last night.

My dd is not so easily sidelined. After not vaulting or tumbling for two months due to pain, she insisted that she would compete all four events at state. If she was going, she wanted a shot at regionals.

She did not land a single vault all week in practice. Her floor was a hot mess since she could barely launch or land her tumbling and leaps. But last night she did it. She managed four routines. They were not her best, not by a long shot, but she did it.

She even medaled on floor, bars and beam and came in 7th AA (top half). Before announcing the AA scores, the announcer told them the top seven would qualify to regionals. She was ecstatic. He teammates high fived her. The coaches were hugging her. She had tears of joy. You would have thought that she won first.

After calling all the girls up, just before saying "salute," the announcer corrected that in her age division, top six qualified to regionals. Her smile froze. I watched her heart break as she stood before everyone realizing she hadn't made it after all.

What had been a Cinderella story of perseverance and hard work and making the pain all worth it suddenly was the lowest moment of her gymnastics life. For one second, she had overcome the injury and the tough bars night and finally had something good this season. But then it was all gone again. And she had to stand there and smile and salute as if she was just fine.

There was no celebration of managing a AA meet with four medals. It was the longest three hour drive home in silence. No tears. No venting. Just defeat.

Sometimes I really hate this sport.

That broke my heart just reading it. I know the announcer just made a simple mistake, but what a cruel one it turned out to be. :( I'm so sorry for your daughter. I hope soon she can feel the pride of what she accomplished and not the defeat of not reaching a goal.

Omg that poor kid!! I'm so sorry. What a great sport and what amazing self control at 7 to fake a smile and keep it together through all that. Hopefully she can celebrate the victory of doing as well as she did once time heals the sting a little. She should still be very proud!! (But my heart is breaking for her!)

I think it's very impressive that she was able to pull it all together for the meet. Congrats, with that mental/physical strength I’m sure she’ll go far. But, what a letdown after such an amazing accomplishment. Hopefully you hid your own disappointment/frustration with the situation and told her how proud you are of her. After her disappointment subsides I hope she is able to recognize how huge of an accomplishment it was for her to even metal despite all the adversity. (not that that helps right now).

I got choked up just reading that, I can't imagine what you and your dd felt. So sad that she had to go through that, especially when she overcame so much and gave it her all. I know it teaches them a lesson, but sometimes you wish that there weren't so many lessons to be learned! Hopefully after a little while she will be able to really hear what an awesome job she did and how strong she is. Good luck to her going forward!

Her score isn't high enough for an at large role. Those go to the little kids who score 37.9 and still don't make top 6. She is a 14 year old level 7. The old ones don't score as high.

Oh no, that's awful, I can't even imagine how sad she was. It is brutal sometimes being a gym parent. I definitely am not well suited for it.

Her score isn't high enough for an at large role. Those go to the little kids who score 37.9 and still don't make top 6. She is a 14 year old level 7. The old ones don't score as high.

But why only 6 from her division & 7 from the others? Just curious. I would think she's owed an explanation. The qualification chart shows 215 from TX advance +29 at large, @ 30 divisions that's 7 per division + 4 more to go at large......so 7 per age division and 33 at large..... I'm a math/numbers person so I'd want to know why her division took a hit......

But why only 6 from her division & 7 from the others? Just curious. I would think she's owed an explanation. The qualification chart shows 215 from TX advance +29 at large, @ 30 divisions that's 7 per division + 4 more to go at large......so 7 per age division and 33 at large..... I'm a math/numbers person so I'd want to know why her division took a hit......

It looks like she was on the unfortunate side of scratches in her age group. That group only had 13 girls, so top 46% is top 5.9. Hopefully she doesn't use this to define her season. She should be proud of how far she has come! Hugs!

I'm so sorry! That is heartbreaking and your kiddo is a trooper for going in an kicking butt despite her injuries. She should be so proud. I hope she's able to realize how amazing she did and take it in stride. Gymnastics is such a hard sport.

yup - heart broke for her. (((hugs))) . she should be proud of what she accomplished though. i hope that doesn't overshadow what a strong person she was during all of that.

here in MA we don't have regionals for lvl 7. the top 7 lvl 7 (of all ages) go to a region 6 meet with top 7 lvl 7's from the other states. they do a competition. then there is a number of girls after that (i think it goes out to 25 of the overall AA scores) that go to some meet as well. both groups get special leos and warm up jackets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back