WAG Benefits of a headstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmommy123

Proud Parent
I know this is a sort of silly question... So when my daughter first started in gymnastics, I was always telling her to get OFF her head and practice handstands instead of headstands. Now that she's getting a little older, I find sometimes they actually practice "headstands" during practice. What is the benefit to this? At home now, she always wants to be on her head again, since she thinks it's fun, and I'm assuming there is a reason that headstands are being practiced. She's just moved up to level 4, and is 6 y/o. Is it helping with balance? They are working a lot at teaching them to hold handstands longer (she generally can hold them 4 or 5 seconds, but not much longer) so I thought maybe it had to do with that?

Thx :)

I don't know if this is intentional but it seems to build up some amazing core strength and control.

Bella likes to play a game where she kicks up to a handstand and then I call different movements. Think things like pike, tuck, left split, right split, straddle, stag, wolf, etc. We've also made up some funny ones like clapping with the soles of her feet and russian dancer. When she's doing these movements, you can see her stomach muscles really working hard.

My daughter's group does a lot of headstands as well, and I think you are right, they help core strength, though as a chiropractor I cannot help but shudder to watch them!!

right^^^we try not to overdo those.:) the "axial" issue even in kids that do not have Down's.:)

I am somewhat comforted by the fact that for my daughter's scrawny little neck, at least it is only 45 pounds bearing down on those little joints.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back