Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bent legs after growth

Gymmamabear

Proud Parent
Mar 11, 2013
How long after a major growth spurt does it take kids to get (literally) the kinks out? My daughter has been doing the BHS BLO on beam for a good 3-4 years, she grew about 6 inches and her legs are so terribly bent! (They were not pre-growth spurt) I know others say it can take awhile, (her coaches say an entire season!) I was just curious b/c she is frustrated - how long does/did it take your child? (She's 15 so we are talking THE major growth spurt)

Gymnastmomma2010

Proud Parent
Sep 9, 2019
Country
USA
Every single time my DD grows she starts this thing were she squats really low going into her backhandspring. It always takes a couple of months to fix. She hasnt had the big growth spurt yet though

raenndrops

Coach
Proud Relative
Former Gymnast
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
Whenever YG has a growth spurt, her tendons and ligaments are the last to catch up ... To the point that you can see that she is as straight as she can get even though she isn't even close to straight legs. We are still waiting 2 years later ... but she has had multiple growth spurts in the last 5 years.

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Feb 21, 2015
Country
USA
So just when IS this big growth spurt supposed to happen?! I know it varies by kid...but geez...this sounds like I have the next four years of my dd’s life to think about this....yuck soup

Reactions: mom2newgymnast

Gymmamabear

Proud Parent
Mar 11, 2013
So just when IS this big growth spurt supposed to happen?! I know it varies by kid...but geez...this sounds like I have the next four years of my dd’s life to think about this....yuck soup
Well, I can't speak for everyone but my daughter and her friends as teenagers all seem to have one big final one where they go from adolescent to woman. Seems be ages 12-15 depending on the kid. Some kids get lucky and grow very very gradually, but some of them grow half a foot in a year!

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
Jul 8, 2014
Country
USA
That's what I was wondering too! My gymnast is about to turn 12 and has already grown quite a lot. But I guess she still has the big one to go. Eek.

Flyaway

Proud Parent
Jun 1, 2014
Country
USA
My dd grew a ton this year (she's 12) and her knees are perpetually bent. Even when straight. Sigh. I've given up. Beautiful BHS step outs will not be in her future.

I suppose we could puruse PT to see if they could work on it, but I don't think it's worth it.

Mish

Proud Parent
Aug 15, 2015
Country
USA
My dd grew a ton this year (she's 12) and her knees are perpetually bent. Even when straight. Sigh. I've given up. Beautiful BHS step outs will not be in her future.

I suppose we could puruse PT to see if they could work on it, but I don't think it's worth it.
My daughter was doing PT for an injury and all of the stretching they did still did not really help the 'bent legs from growth spurt' problem.