WAG Bent legs after growth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmamabear

Proud Parent
How long after a major growth spurt does it take kids to get (literally) the kinks out? My daughter has been doing the BHS BLO on beam for a good 3-4 years, she grew about 6 inches and her legs are so terribly bent! (They were not pre-growth spurt) I know others say it can take awhile, (her coaches say an entire season!) I was just curious b/c she is frustrated - how long does/did it take your child? (She's 15 so we are talking THE major growth spurt)

Every single time my DD grows she starts this thing were she squats really low going into her backhandspring. It always takes a couple of months to fix. She hasnt had the big growth spurt yet though

Whenever YG has a growth spurt, her tendons and ligaments are the last to catch up ... To the point that you can see that she is as straight as she can get even though she isn't even close to straight legs. We are still waiting 2 years later ... but she has had multiple growth spurts in the last 5 years.

So just when IS this big growth spurt supposed to happen?! I know it varies by kid...but geez...this sounds like I have the next four years of my dd’s life to think about this....yuck soup

So just when IS this big growth spurt supposed to happen?! I know it varies by kid...but geez...this sounds like I have the next four years of my dd’s life to think about this....yuck soup

Well, I can't speak for everyone but my daughter and her friends as teenagers all seem to have one big final one where they go from adolescent to woman. Seems be ages 12-15 depending on the kid. Some kids get lucky and grow very very gradually, but some of them grow half a foot in a year!

That's what I was wondering too! My gymnast is about to turn 12 and has already grown quite a lot. But I guess she still has the big one to go. Eek.

My dd grew a ton this year (she's 12) and her knees are perpetually bent. Even when straight. Sigh. I've given up. Beautiful BHS step outs will not be in her future.

I suppose we could puruse PT to see if they could work on it, but I don't think it's worth it.

My dd grew a ton this year (she's 12) and her knees are perpetually bent. Even when straight. Sigh. I've given up. Beautiful BHS step outs will not be in her future.

I suppose we could puruse PT to see if they could work on it, but I don't think it's worth it.
My daughter was doing PT for an injury and all of the stretching they did still did not really help the 'bent legs from growth spurt' problem.

So I’m so glad it’s not just my daughter that has this issue. She’s pretty much the only one on her excel team that this happens to when she grows (she has all kinds of tendon and ligament growth issues, severs, osgoods, and basically her legs will just suddenly get longer-but nothing else on her body will grow for at least 6-8 months- she has massive amounts of pain in her heels and knees, and she can’t straighten her legs or do her splits for almost a year. Then the rest of her body catches up to her legs (and she finally gets loose enough for splits and straight legs) then her legs will grow again. She’s almost 13, but she’s only about 4’6”, so she might have a while to deal with this

So mine was 14 end of summer. Huge growth spurt of 4+ “ from August-nov. It has created havoc to say the least. Hoping she makes it out the other side .....

A curious question:
For those who watched these growth spurts-was this during puberty, or after they already got their periods? I am really not sure what path my kid is on honestly. By all the physical signs, her period should be here already and it isn’t. It’s bizarre to me. Don’t get me wrong, I am more than happy to not deal with this yet. But it’s still odd, so I am wondering if she is just plodding along and maybe the growth spurt is going to be gradual for her? I can hope and pray, lol!

A curious question:
For those who watched these growth spurts-was this during puberty, or after they already got their periods? I am really not sure what path my kid is on honestly. By all the physical signs, her period should be here already and it isn’t. It’s bizarre to me. Don’t get me wrong, I am more than happy to not deal with this yet. But it’s still odd, so I am wondering if she is just plodding along and maybe the growth spurt is going to be gradual for her? I can hope and pray, lol!

My gymmie hasn't started yet (she'll be 13 this spring), but in my older girls, the growth spurt came before the period. The growing pretty much slowed once the period started.

A curious question:

According to my daughters’ doctor, kids grow the most the year before their period and the year during. So, I guess those are the years with the most growth spurt. As for my daughters, they still had some growth spurts the year after their period. Additionally, along with getting used to the increase in height, there is decrease in strength as the growth still needs to be developed. Then they start filling out, getting more shapely. The upside, is once they’ve gone through the growth spurt, they can and do build up on strength and they do end up stronger.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back