Parents Best gym in Raleigh, NC Area?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastParent123

Proud Parent
Hello everyone!

Our family may move to Raleigh NC due to a work relocation, and finding a top gym is a priority. From what I can see, Bull City seems to be the best in the area. Would everyone agree? Is there anybody here that attends Bull City?

(Driving to Southeastern is out of the question! Too far!).

Some specific questions:
Who is the coaching staff at Bull City?
Do they have levels 3-10? Teams for both men and women?
They seem to have very few gymnasts compared to Southeastern - are they super selective?
Overall reputation?
Any other good gyms in the area? Sonshine?

Thank you kindly!

What level are you looking for?

We aren't at Bull City, but I can answer a few questions. They have a great reputation and produce some amazing gymnasts. Pretty high hours and intense if that is what you are looking for. They compete Xcel instead of levels 2/3. They do compete 4. Some girls seem to go 4 to 6 (scoring out of 5) and others do 4, a few meets at 5 and then 7 right after (NC has fall compulsories and winter/spring optionals). They do not have a boys team that I am aware of. I think they have a fairly large team, so not sure why you think it is small? I think there were around 50 from Bull City at the recent state meet, including 13 level 10's. Southeastern had 58, so not that much different. Not many other gyms in NC have that many optionals. That being said, I think they probably are pretty selective. And they have lots of younger girls on their team..

What level are you looking for?

We aren't at Bull City, but I can answer a few questions. They have a great reputation and produce some amazing gymnasts. Pretty high hours and intense if that is what you are looking for. They compete Xcel instead of levels 2/3. They do compete 4. Some girls seem to go 4 to 6 (scoring out of 5) and others do 4, a few meets at 5 and then 7 right after (NC has fall compulsories and winter/spring optionals). They do not have a boys team that I am aware of. I think they have a fairly large team, so not sure why you think it is small? I think there were around 50 from Bull City at the recent state meet, including 13 level 10's. Southeastern had 58, so not that much different. Not many other gyms in NC have that many optionals. That being said, I think they probably are pretty selective. And they have lots of younger girls on their team..

Thank you! We have girls levels 4 and 10.

I don’t live in the area but have a friend with a level 8 at one of the above mentioned gyms. Her daughter is a 13 year-old level 8 who is “too old” to be a level 8 at BC, so yes, they are pretty selective. They do produce amazing gymnasts but as also stated above, high hours, little tolerance for fears, and high intensity can lead some girls to burnout pretty quickly. Some girls can handle that environment, and some cannot.

Gyms in the area that have high placing girls, that have colleges interested in them are: (in no particular order)
Bull City
TAG (Team Attraction)
Sonshine
RSG

I agree. These are the only gyms in the area I would consider. My daughter is at one of them. They have varying levels of intensity though. I recommend trying a few classes at each. Also, consider distance. RSG is way up in N. Raleigh, Bull City is way over in Durham and TAG and Sonshine are south west of Raleigh. Traffic in the area isn't as bad as it is in many areas of the country but it can be rough getting around at rush hour.

Sonshine has been amazing for years and years. When my daughter was (old) Level 4 in 2005, they were at the meet with only 3 level 4s, and they won the meet—it was a big invitational. We literally sat watching them with our mouths hanging open. o_O :) They continue to be very good. NC has very good gyms in general.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back