DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Art

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
hi all.

I've been asked to look into buying a new pommel as the one we have is rather ancient and not in very good condition.
So I've been looking about, but not sure whats supposed to be the best type.

I'm not sure what all the differences are, but the main easy one that Ive seen is that you get real leather and synthetic leather. Which is better? for training use, and for equipment endurance?

Any comments from experience? Anyone used a range of different makes and have a preference?

Thanks!

Oh! Also, we have a old pair of rings over the pit that we are going to set up again as they weren't attached.
Our new rings have springs right at the top I think? Haven't really had a good look up there.
Are the springs really that big a difference? If so, I might look at trying to fix the other rings up with them if the top part of the setup can be bought separately.

Sprung rings are preferred rather than non sprung rings. They are far better for gymnasts once they need to learn how to swing big.

:) Thanks a lot for the replies. For that spring swivel, where does it sit? Just above the webbing straps, or do you attach the pulleys to them or how?

For the pommel horse, thanks for the recommendation, but I'm also hoping to know why that particular one?
I'm in NZ, and the club tends to work through this one supplier. He has gotten things for us from other companies before (I insisted on an ultra dome), but tends to prefer working through JF, Gymnova, or acromat.

JFs pommel seemed ok to me, but I also need to keep price in mind as the club will try only spend what they need.
So is there any major reason why the AAI International pommel horse is so much better than the classic pommel they make? Big price difference.

no difference really. they all do what their supposed to do. but i'll tell you, that gymnova and senoh leather is like butter. we have 1 and has a great 'feel'. we have puchased the new AAI which will be delivered in February. this horse will eventually replace the old ones. the base does not change. only the top.

you can get round or flat pommels. we have both and interchange them depending upon the meets we go to and what will be there.

the 'springload' is important for the boys shoulders. it is a MUST HAVE. they will tear their shoulders up without them if they perform swinging skills. if it's just for handstand training then you don't need them. the spring component goes between the ceiling bracket and the triangle hook on the ring strap. same on a ring rig.

So is there any major reason why the AAI International pommel horse is so much better than the classic pommel they make? Big price difference.

New Flatter surface provides about 10% more working surface

As far as horses...

"A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse, of course,
Unless, of course, the horse, of course,
Is the famous Mr. Ed!"

I'm not really sure there are any Mr. Ed's in the world of pommel horses. I think you would be happy with any of the brands you listed.

Gymnova is supplier for London 2012 and their horses look cool.

If the JF horse is anything like their vault table...I'd get it...love their vault table.

Get real leather.

Last edited:
wow, JBS! 1 of my favorite TV shows of all times. to bad the kids today won't see it.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back