Parents best snack for refuel in between practice? (not after)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

e'smum

Proud Parent
so dd is starting her high performance class today. she will go in from 3-5 for that. regular practice starts at 5 and goes until 8:30. the girls in the HP class will rest and snack from 5-5:30 before coming in for their team practice. this is different from last year where this class was held on a non-team practice night and we just went home.

i was thinking a low-sugar chocolate milk and banana. although she will eat a banana on the way to practice as she always does. is there something else that won't weigh her down but will get her fueled up for her "2nd" practice? i know the chocolate milk is good for after practice is over, will it help in between as well? how about a small serving of wheat thins and cheese? yogurt? i don't want her to feel sick but clearly her coach thinks it is necessary to eat something as he specifically said that. as she will be warmed up from the first 2 hours, she is skipping the regular team warmups. she'll go right in to whatever that day's scheduled training is.

would love any good suggestions. TIA!

We do apple slices and yogurt dip, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese slices, strawberries and grapes, small salad. The girls get a 15 min break to eat a light snack and rest. So it has to be small enough to eat quickly.

Our gym recommends fruit, it gets the blood sugar back up and supplies liquids at the same time. My DD is a big eater so she gets an orange or other fruit, plus protein like nuts or cheese, usually a rice cake as well. And juice since she doesn't like chocolate milk. 1/2 hour should be enough time to let her snack settle though, I would think.

A fasting acting carb, cobmbined with a protein.

Fruit, cheese, yogurt, the milk, hummus, egg, California roll. Potstickers, pierogi, tortellini, Mac and cheese..........

mine has one day a week like that and she like an applesauce squeezie because it goes down quickly and some nuts.

thank you for answering so quickly! my dh is on his way to the store later with a list of your suggestions. lol. she likes the motts all natural strawberry applesauce which i'd forgotten so we'll add that and some of the milk and some cheese, yogurt, ect.... we have a kid or two on team with severe peanut allergies so we are a no nut gym. but lots of choices here for her. she's a picky eater and mainly likes pasta and PB&J and doesn't like chocolate so getting her to agree to the chocolate milk was huge. :)

thank you for answering so quickly! my dh is on his way to the store later with a list of your suggestions. lol. she likes the motts all natural strawberry applesauce which i'd forgotten so we'll add that and some of the milk and some cheese, yogurt, ect.... we have a kid or two on team with severe peanut allergies so we are a no nut gym. but lots of choices here for her. she's a picky eater and mainly likes pasta and PB&J and doesn't like chocolate so getting her to agree to the chocolate milk was huge. :)

I believe vanilla flavored milk would be just as effective. It's about getting protein and carbs. You can get little containers of vanilla milk just like chocolate milk.

Sunflower seed butter is great for picky kids in a nut-free environment. I think my daughter ate a sunbutter and jelly sandwich every day this summer.

Mine doesn't drink milk and says any dairy makes her stomach feel heavy during practice. We have the added issue of no refrigeration.

But she likes coconut water, applesauce pouches, dried mango, RX bars (these have nuts), Lenny and Larry's 2 ounce protein cookies (she likes the snickerdoodle and birthday cake ones, and only the 2 ounce; the 4 ounce are thicker and dry), beef jerky or beef sticks (I buy the 50 pack Jack Links sticks on amazon and she keeps a couple in her bag for when she needs a few bites at practice). If you have time to offer warm food, mine loves 2-3 chicken nuggets as a quick snack.

Mini flapjacks, Fruit and oat type biscuits. And cake without lots of frosting or icing.

well i sent her in with a banana (she ate on the ride there) some lowfat choco milk in a cooler bag w/freezer pack, applesauce, smartfood popcorn and strawberries. she ate it all! lol. although the popcorn was probably eaten on the way home and the leftover is in her gym bag and not the cooler bag. one of the moms can't get her dd there on tuesdays in time so she's going to ask if it can be switched to thursdays. dd doesn't have team practice on thursdays so that would make all of this moot. ha!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back