WAG Best time of the year to coach: right after season ends

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I feel like I make this thread every year but... man, I LOVE coaching right after season ends. The girls have spent the last few months cleaning up technique, and there are so many skills that they're ready to learn, but haven't because we've been focusing on routines. And then season ends, and we throw open the floodgates.

Three of my level 6s got their front layouts on floor this week. Three got their back layouts onto a resi (and will likely be putting it on the floor in the next week or two). Every single one of them did double-backs on trampoline (in a belt) for the first time. One landed a rudi on tumbletrak today.

As with every year, this is my favorite part of the season.

That shows what an awesome coach you are. All season you have been preparing them for the next round of skills. You have boosted their confidence, maintained their strength and tightened their form. Now they’re not playing catch-up like some, instead, they are ready to fly into their level 7 season. Be proud of them but be proud of you too.

To be fair, some of them are playing catch up on some events. They all have their strengths and weaknesses; several are preparing for level 8 on floor, while scrambling to be ready for L7 on bars.

That’s awesome! I’m not a coach but I can see what you mean! The girls are loving to be free of having the same routines drilled into them for the millionth time and working more on upgrades. My daughter just had her State Meet a couple weeks ago and she already has gotten her Kip, back walkover on beam, front handspring vault, and back handspring back tuck. It’s amazing. When do you start teaching the actual next level routine to your team? Like how many months before the first meet?

That’s awesome! I’m not a coach but I can see what you mean! The girls are loving to be free of having the same routines drilled into them for the millionth time and working more on upgrades. My daughter just had her State Meet a couple weeks ago and she already has gotten her Kip, back walkover on beam, front handspring vault, and back handspring back tuck. It’s amazing. When do you start teaching the actual next level routine to your team? Like how many months before the first meet?

Depends on the event. Vault is vault; they're already training for the next level, and the one after. On bars, it's hard to draw a line; skills gradually give way into sequences of skills which gradually give way into full routines. As for beam and floor, I confess I don't know when my current gym does routines/choreography; I've been here less than a year, and I'm not the one who teaches dance and choreography anyway.

Depends on the event. Vault is vault; they're already training for the next level, and the one after. On bars, it's hard to draw a line; skills gradually give way into sequences of skills which gradually give way into full routines. As for beam and floor, I confess I don't know when my current gym does routines/choreography; I've been here less than a year, and I'm not the one who teaches dance and choreography anyway.
Oh yea I think what I meant. The choreography. My daughter picks up actual skills quicker than she does all the little dancy parts of routines lol

To be fair, some of them are playing catch up on some events. They all have their strengths and weaknesses; several are preparing for level 8 on floor, while scrambling to be ready for L7 on bars.
Ha! That’s my DD right now! She’s got her L8 for floor, beam, and vault... can’t quite hit L7 bars yet. Everyone at her gym feels the euphoria of the beginning of summer too!

I think it's the best time of year for the gymnasts too! My dd definitely prefers learning new and more challenging skills in the off season to perfecting routines during the meet season. So much less pressure and more fun for everyone. :)

And for parents too.... No need to wonder about next season's placement just yet, and happy to have the state meet over and done.

several are preparing for level 8 on floor, while scrambling to be ready for L7 on bars.

Ha! That’s my DD right now! She’s got her L8 for floor, beam, and vault... can’t quite hit L7 bars yet

^^ This made me chuckle, cuz mine is the exact opposite. She is working some Level 8 skills on bars only (giant/giant layout is good, pirouettes are getting there, and stalder and bail drills have started).... but is unfortunately nowhere near L8 on floor, beam or vault!! Love that gymnastics can play to many different strengths though.

In any event, it sounds like there is lots of good mojo in the gym these days! Yea for new skills!

Good googly moogly my formerly-level 6 girls are ON FIRE! One of them got her standing back tuck on high beam, BHS-BLO stepout on a line, and her front 1/1 on floor -- and that's all just this past week! Had another girl flip her yurchenko into the pit for the first time, and another get her back 1/1 on trampoline. My girl who was afraid of back tucks all season is now begging me to let her work layouts, and suddenly has a gorgeous front 1/1s on tumbletrak. My bar girl who struggled with front tumbling all season is now standing up front tuck-front tuck on floor, and FLO-FLO on tumbletrak.

Totally agree with this!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE post comp season. Full upgrade program with no pressure. With my 7's they each have an individual upgrade program and they select skills from this list to work on. The list contains anything I think they are ready to move to and that will be looking at including in their comp routines for 8 and 9. My girls have such a refreshed outlook. I've already had a girl hit Giants to double tucked flyway this week and one hit a whip on low beam. The sense of ownership and freedom for this part of the season is such a relief.

Well Done to your gymnasts on their new skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back