MAG Best training supports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

emorymom

Proud Parent
Best wrist, knee and ankle supports?

My high velocity growth kid is not injured and would like to stay that way. He does seem to need wrist / ankle support and we need to make sure he can get through without Osgood Schlatter as he had the 9-year-old's equivalent last year.

What kind of supports are you looking for? Tiger Paws for wrists might work. Knees and ankles will depend on your preference

Best wrist, knee and ankle supports?

My high velocity growth kid is not injured and would like to stay that way. He does seem to need wrist / ankle support and we need to make sure he can get through without Osgood Schlatter as he had the 9-year-old's equivalent last year.
There is no way to ensure not getting growth plate issues like Osgood Schlatter's. It is an inflammation that occurs as a part of the bone ossifies and attaches to the rest of the plate. Stretching the hamstring can help prevent it. If his wrists and ankles are overall weak, then the best thing to do is fund out some exercises for strengthening them.

I'm not a coach, but it's my understanding that supports generally lead to further weakening and should be avoided unless necessary. I would think maybe some rice bucket training would help condition around the wrists.

Hopefully one of the coaches will chime in and give you some ideas.

Tiger Paws won't work for pommel horse, which is where he's likely to need them. DS and his teammates mostly use the lightweight Pegasus wristguards, but DS now has one of the Skids ones that gives a little more support. And he shouldn't start using them unless/until he is having pain. But second Sce and Magmom on exercsie!

DS uses Skids too, but only when he is getting sore. They are great because they work well for floor and pommels.

HOnestly, D just uses tape. SOme days more than others. If his wrists are hurting, he tapes them. Same with ankles. He does have patellar straps for his knees that he wears about 1X a month.

It is funny (sad, not haha) when the boys go to floor. D starts tumbling. The rest all take a good 5 minutes putting on heel cups, ankle braces, patellar straps, wrist guards, elbow wraps. D gets in 3-5 passes before anyone else even joins him. I do think some are dependent on them at this point..

When DD was having tendonitis issues last summer, she was going through a roll of tape a week!

Reactions: sce
I think it is his way of not becoming dependent on anything. Who knows what is going through his head

Everyone who needs then at my sons' gym(including my little guy) uses

http://www.ezywrap.com/p-1075-ezy-probrace-gymnast-wrist-support.aspx

I ordered Tiger Paws and coach said they only work for girls because you need great extension for boys on pommel horse than what they allow.

Be careful when ordering them, like the Skidz. Even though it certainly seems like you are getting two on the website, only one comes! I noticed that with that one and one other.....so yeah, we ordered four different kinds before settling on the EZ Wrap ones.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back