WAG Best Wrist Supports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
When DD got gymnast wrist the first time, because it was mild and the gym disapproved, we didn't put her in supports. Big mistake bc of course it came back and was worse. So I think out of guilt, I went and researched and bought every support out there to see what worked best for her and what gave her the least amount of discomfort and let her still do her skills. Half of them came off of CB suggestions, so thank you. To pay it forward, I thought I'd report on what we bought and what worked or didn't. Of course this is all personal. But wanted to help.

1. Tiger Paws, of course. She thought these were good but not great. So stiff at times even with being broken in that they dug into the backs of her hands and didn't let her do all her skills easily. And of course no beam on them.

2. Skids. These were the best for beam because they didn't cover her hands. The coach had been rigging up a system with stiff foam and tape. Even she said these were a world apart. Dd started with just the thicker foam to get used to the feeling. Now that she's comfortable with them, she is adding the thinner one on top. (She felt the thin foam alone was useless.) But she really liked that she could adjust through the three levels depending on the day, discomfort, what she was working.

3. EZY Wraps. I think that's what they are called. Far and away, the best all around. Didn't have as wide a profile as the TPs and had this unique lift in the hand - they called it palmar support. And on the site, they cite medical studies. Frankly, I thought that it was crap at the time and only bought bc DD was coming home from gym after using the TPs and still feeling pain so I was frantic to get something/anything that worked. I was shocked when these were it. But if you think about the mechanics it mades sense. Because the piece in the hand elevates the palm, it just can't physically bend back as much.

4. Mueller wrist brace. Supposedly had steel springs in it. Even at the smallest size, just too big for her and not enough stiffness.

5. I think the last one was the Ten-O short wrist support. Something that also doesn't cover the hand and can be used for beam. I think someone here cited that boys use them for pommel horse. The problem here was that it was hard to get it tight enough to stay in place. It would slide up her wrist and the foam wouldn't stay on her in the best place to be effective. Again, she just might be too small. And these were the smallest size.

Hope this helps. And hope it doesn't sound like an advertisement because nothing could be farther from the truth. Or that I'm giving medical advice. Just reporting what worked for us personally so maybe you all can buy fewer options!!!!

I was wondering if you could find the exact name of the ones she considers best. DD uses TP on beam floor and vault. Using them on the beam is tough no back walkovers with TP. Took the TP off for level 5 move out meet and learned BHS BHS for level 7. Id like her to try a pair.

Absolutely. I was worried about linking etc bc I didn't want to get called out for advertising. But here's the link:

https://www.ezywrap.com/p-1075-ezy-probrace-gymnast-wrist-support.aspx

Because these cover the hand, not as good for beam. Although you can remove the palmar support and have it just be a wrap with the foam on the back of the hand. My dd didn't find it worked as well. Still had pain. Skids were best on beam. Want that link too?

thanks for posting the update and reviews!

I was wondering if you could find the exact name of the ones she considers best. DD uses TP on beam floor and vault. Using them on the beam is tough no back walkovers with TP. Took the TP off for level 5 move out meet and learned BHS BHS for level 7. Id like her to try a pair.
we bought these for beam. just enough support without covering the entirety of the palm.
https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Spor...qid=1507939452&sr=8-12&keywords=mueller+wrist

My kid uses tiger paws. On beam including BWOs. Floor and vault.

Didn’t like them at first. I reminded her she didn’t like grips at first either.

She used skids previously. But the skills at getting bigger and more impact on wrists.

She has now completely adjusted to the paws. Not a problem.

Just about our entire boys' optional team is in Skidz, which work well for pommels. We see a lot of Skidz on US national team members as well. The one thing to keep in mind is that they are sold individually, so you have to buy two separate ones if you want a pair.

And as a public service announcement, if your child needs wrist supports, your child also needs wrist strengthening and conditioning exercises. Theraband and rice bucket exercises are great.

Just about our entire boys' optional team is in Skidz, which work well for pommels. We see a lot of Skidz on US national team members as well. The one thing to keep in mind is that they are sold individually, so you have to buy two separate ones if you want a pair.

And as a public service announcement, if your child needs wrist supports, your child also needs wrist strengthening and conditioning exercises. Theraband and rice bucket exercises are great.

Thank you for reminding me. She did a ton while she was out but has been letting it go since she is doing skills again. Have my rice bucket set up. We also got this crazy device from Ten-O. http://www.ten-o.com/Handmaster-Wrist-Conditioner,684.html?b=d*14672

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back