WAG Between levels-what would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dad1234

Proud Parent
If your child was between levels and could compete a level up or stay at her current level, which would you prefer? If my daughter competed at her current level, she would very likely be bored but have a chance at medaling. If she competed up, she would have less chance of medaling (which I think is a good life lesson). She wants to compete up but knows that competing up would require more work. Would you consider privates to help her compete up where she would be happier, challenged, but not as successful? I am leaning towards privates so that she can compete where she wants to compete. She says she wants to medal, but I know her heart lies with competing up because she loves doing the harder skills. Thoughts? FYI...she is six, going on seven. I say she would be bored at her current level because she switched gyms after competing two years of level two and is currently on xcel bronze. I feel like bronze would be a repeat of level 2 for her where she wouldn’t really get to learn anything new and I worry that she might quit. Her technique and form is what she needs to work on for silver verses the skills. She has the skills but needs to work on form. Thanks!

I would definitely go silver if she's had two years of level 2. As mentioned above, Bronze and silver requirements are extremely similar already.

As for your question in a broader sense, for my kid, (being safe to do the skills being a given) it would depend on where I thought she'd be happiest.

We have gone both ways at different times. Each was right for its own reason. When she was younger she needed the confidence of not moving up as quickly and our gym uptrains a bit during the season so she wasn't completely board, but had less of reason to put pressure on her self.

As she got older, the challenge and staying with her tribe was more important. She was also mature enough to get its not about the medals.

Where is your child at? I don't actually need an answer. Its for you to decide.

If your child was between levels and could compete a level up or stay at her current level, which would you prefer? If my daughter competed at her current level, she would very likely be bored but have a chance at medaling. If she competed up, she would have less chance of medaling (which I think is a good life lesson). She wants to compete up but knows that competing up would require more work. Would you consider privates to help her compete up where she would be happier, challenged, but not as successful? I am leaning towards privates so that she can compete where she wants to compete. She says she wants to medal, but I know her heart lies with competing up because she loves doing the harder skills. Thoughts? FYI...she is six, going on seven. I say she would be bored at her current level because she switched gyms after competing two years of level two and is currently on xcel bronze. I feel like bronze would be a repeat of level 2 for her where she wouldn’t really get to learn anything new and I worry that she might quit. Her technique and form is what she needs to work on for silver verses the skills. She has the skills but needs to work on form. Thanks!
I think that she should move up. It is never good to be bored with gymnastics and you are right, it is a good life lesson to not get a medal. I think it would be better to move her up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back