BG Coach under investigation - Guardian Article

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After reading the article I was a little skeptical as comments such as a child was shut in a cupboard for over an hour for making a mistake seemed to be sensationalised. With the only response from BG a statement about their safeguarding policy it appeared the allegations were considered but dismissed. Then I came across a second article where a spokesperson for BG stated "The outcome [of the investigation] did not result in a suspension but remedial action was recommended and undertaken). It looks as if further incidents have taken place since that investigation which has led to police involvement. Doesn't look as if the remedial action did a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/14/british-gymnastics-alleged-emotional-physical-abuse

I believe you are right and the articles are about different coaches and clubs. However, BG's response about 'remedial action' having been undertaken in 2012 I believe was regarding the coach in the original article who is alleged to have continued their abusive behaviour as the article states 'some of the incidents being looked at by police took place after that time".

Quote from the Guardian:

"British Gymnastics has confirmed that it did not suspend a coach who was reported to its welfare team for alleged emotional and physical abuse in 2012 after the Guardian revealed the same coach had been interviewed by police on suspicion of child cruelty this year... A British Gymnastics spokeswoman said: “In 2012, British Gymnastics investigated a coach as a result of concerns raised by parents. The coach was investigated through our normal procedures and the case was referred to our case-referral management team, who determined the outcome. The outcome did not result in a suspension but remedial action was recommended and undertaken.”

It just seems as though the alleged behaviour was allowed to continue as the coach just got a slap on the wrist after the first complaint. Obviously we do not know the extent of the alleged abuse, how often it happened or the ages of the gymnasts but if the police are investigating there must be something for them to go on. What I find most disturbing is that a number of people have come forward saying their complaints to BG have fallen on deaf ears and no action has been taken. I hope this can be sorted out and things aren't as bad as they appear, it is very unfair and unethical for any children to be victimised pursuing a sport they love.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back