Parents BHS bent arms and legs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_mom11

Proud Parent
Question for everyone... My daughter has been doing her ROBHS for a few weeks and now doing her standing BHS but with bent arms...and legs. In your experience how long did it take for your kiddos to go from just being able to do it, to being able to do it with proper form? My DD is competing Xcel bronze this year and would like her to be able to have the ROBHS as her tumble pass if she can get her form better. I know cleaner is better so if she can't make it pretty she will probably do RO backroll to press handstand landing in a push-up.( I hope that's what it's called). She wants to do her ROBHS. She's 6 1/2 btw don't know if that matters. Thanks!

Wish I could give you a timeframe, but every kid is different. My one piece of advice is to encourage her to be patient and keep the pressure off. I know for my gymnast the more she feels pressure to "get" or fix a skill, the longer it takes her. She builds it up in her mind into a "thing" and it becomes counter-productive. When this happens, it helps for me to remind her to place the focus on working hard not on getting the skill. This encourages her to listen more to corrections and usually leads to improvements in the skill. I would recommend you and her plan on the alternate pass, continue to train the ROBHS, and then you will both be ecstatic when it is competition ready. I am not familiar with Xcel but isn't it possible that she could start the season with the easier pass and upgrade later? Good luck to you!

To quote @Jard.the.gymnast , what does her coach say? :) :)

In all seriousness though, what does the coach say? It's different for everything child and sometimes for every skill how quickly they come and then how long it takes to look nice. If the coach isn't worried then I bet you don't need to be either. If the coach is a little concerned then I'll bet he or she already has an alternate tumbling pass in mind. The beauty of Xcel is that the athletes don't need any one specific skill to compete successfully. Your gymmie will get it figured out eventually, and move right on to the next challenging skill!

Wish I could give you a timeframe, but every kid is different. My one piece of advice is to encourage her to be patient and keep the pressure off. I know for my gymnast the more she feels pressure to "get" or fix a skill, the longer it takes her. She builds it up in her mind into a "thing" and it becomes counter-productive. When this happens, it helps for me to remind her to place the focus on working hard not on getting the skill. This encourages her to listen more to corrections and usually leads to improvements in the skill. I would recommend you and her plan on the alternate pass, continue to train the ROBHS, and then you will both be ecstatic when it is competition ready. I am not familiar with Xcel but isn't it possible that she could start the season with the easier pass and upgrade later? Good luck to you!
Thank you very good points to ponder! Thankfully yes we already have a simpler pass planned and can do the ROBHS if she can get it cleaner. Again thankfully we have awhile before comp season so will just have to see how it goes.

To quote @Jard.the.gymnast , what does her coach say? :) :)

In all seriousness though, what does the coach say? It's different for everything child and sometimes for every skill how quickly they come and then how long it takes to look nice. If the coach isn't worried then I bet you don't need to be either. If the coach is a little concerned then I'll bet he or she already has an alternate tumbling pass in mind. The beauty of Xcel is that the athletes don't need any one specific skill to compete successfully. Your gymmie will get it figured out eventually, and move right on to the next challenging skill!
Honestly the coach isn't saying anything yet other than trying to remind her to keep her arms straight to protect her head! Right now I think they are just happy she's got it and will give her a little time before they start really correcting her lot so as not to discourage her. I look forward to the next few weeks to see what they tell her.

Honestly the coach isn't saying anything yet other than trying to remind her to keep her arms straight to protect her head! Right now I think they are just happy she's got it and will give her a little time before they start really correcting her lot so as not to discourage her. I look forward to the next few weeks to see what they tell her.
This is so frustrating to ne, as the vent arms are usually the result of improper technique earlier in the skill. The coach should be correcting what heads up to the bent arms. Do you have video of her doing the skill?

This is so frustrating to ne, as the vent arms are usually the result of improper technique earlier in the skill. The coach should be correcting what heads up to the bent arms. Do you have video of her doing the skill?
I tried to post a video but it says the file is too big. It's only like 28 seconds. What am I doing wrong?

I'd suggest hosting the video on another site and posting a link to it here.
I agree, you tube, facebook etc. You can make it unlisted so only those who have the link can watch it, it won't be searchable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back