Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

BHS mental block

Vaasu

Gymnast
Nov 29, 2017
Country
New Zealand
hello everybody!
I’m having a bit of trouble keeping my backhandspring. I tend to have it for a few hours consistently and then hours later I just can’t seem to do it and blank right before the skill. It’s getting very frustrating and causing loads of tears. I know I can do it and have done it plenty of times. Any help at all would be appreciated!

(I have it 100% on trampoline)

Vaasu

Gymnast
Nov 29, 2017
Country
New Zealand
hello everybody!
I’m having a bit of trouble keeping my backhandspring. I tend to have it for a few hours consistently and then hours later I just can’t seem to do it and blank right before the skill. It’s getting very frustrating and causing loads of tears. I know I can do it and have done it plenty of times. Any help at all would be appreciated!

should add that I have a consistent back walkover!

FVSgymnast

Gymnast
Dec 30, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
hello everybody!

If you have a mat that might be a good way to keep it consistent or any cushions or mattress because your body might be afraid of landing on a solid surface like grass

When you blank out I recommend stopping so you don’t hurt yourself and also not getting into that habit of having it and losing it. So always end on a good one. So the next day your body knows what it needs to do.

Just keep practicing and I hope this helps!
Good luck!

Jard.the.gymnast

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Apr 12, 2017
Heerenveen
Country
Netherlands
A back handspring is not a skill that is safe to practice at home, nor are back walkovers. Not even on a trampoline. Please try to go to a gym where you can learn the proper, safe way to do iT without being blocked on and off.

Vaasu

Gymnast
Nov 29, 2017
Country
New Zealand
If you have a mat that might be a good way to keep it consistent or any cushions or mattress because your body might be afraid of landing on a solid surface like grass

When you blank out I recommend stopping so you don’t hurt yourself and also not getting into that habit of having it and losing it. So always end on a good one. So the next day your body knows what it needs to do.

Just keep practicing and I hope this helps!
Good luck!
Will definitely give this a shot! Thank you loads! :)

Vaasu

Gymnast
Nov 29, 2017
Country
New Zealand
A back handspring is not a skill that is safe to practice at home, nor are back walkovers. Not even on a trampoline. Please try to go to a gym where you can learn the proper, safe way to do iT without being blocked on and off.
Should’ve mentioned that is reoccuring at the gym as well! I do cheerleading and gymnastics at a club, and I’m having the same problem there! I was told by both coaches to go back to the basics, such as the barrell and I am now doing so. They both believe I have the strength and ability to do it but my mind just shuts off? I sure hope it gets better before competition season :/

Jard.the.gymnast

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Apr 12, 2017
Heerenveen
Country
Netherlands
Should’ve mentioned that is reoccuring at the gym as well! I do cheerleading and gymnastics at a club, and I’m having the same problem there! I was told by both coaches to go back to the basics, such as the barrell and I am now doing so. They both believe I have the strength and ability to do it but my mind just shuts off? I sure hope it gets better before competition season :/
I think not doing iT at home Will for sure work. And listen to your coaches, our bosjes usually do not go backwards so that is a scary thing for your head.