WAG BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tpMom

Proud Parent
Hi all! I'm wondering when, if ever, the fear of a bhs on beam will abate for my DD. She has the skill, and it looks pretty good according to her coach, but she HATES it. She's never frozen on the skill, unlike her fly away which had her hands glued to the bars for months, and she's never refused to do it as many times as required by the coach, but she really truly hates to do it. The other day they had no beam practice and she said it was the best practice of the year. I'm wondering what other experiences are with this skill. I know with her fly away and some other beam skills the fear eased after she got the skill down. I'm hoping that it will happen with the bhs, just for her piece of mind in nothing else. Do you all have gymmies that just have to brazen out the fear forever?

For me, the fear never fully went away for some beam skills. I competed a front handspring on beam for two years and had it down pat, but every single practice I had to work through intense fear before I could get myself to do it, especially for the first one of the day. I didn't ever ask for a spot or warm it up on low beam, since I knew I wouldn't be able to do that at a competition, but I would warm up on a line on the floor about a million times and internally I was very nervous. The things that helped me were 1) competing it successfully for a season, 2) high numbers, and 3) doing it in a series, which I think helped me to get out of my head about it. But if I went a few practices without doing it, the fear would come back.

Honestly, I think some kids just have skills that they feel that way about. They do it and in, theory know that it is safe to do, but the fear is still there. My ds feels that way about flyaways, he even reliably does double flyaway but still says that it's so scary.

DD feels the same about some beam skills - has competed round-off dismounts for 3 years now (currently working on RO layout full), she says they are still scary and she hates them. She never balks or blocks and rarely misses but she still hates them! On the other hand, she doesn't find her BHS BHS beam series scary. Weird, eh?

Could she talk to her coach and ask about learning alternate skills that fill the same requirements? Maybe an Ariel or front handspring ? I don't know anything about requirements and she may just have to do it but hopefully the coach wold be open to progressions towards another one.

Mine is still scared to death of the BHS. So scared that her legs are bent and she can't get them straight. She competes 2 of them now, so double the deduction. On the beam the back tuck isn't scary, lay out step out isn't scary, round off full dismount isn't scary, but according to her the BHS is terrifying.

My daughter HATED the BHS on the beam. She still doesn't like it, but after learning her series, she tells me the BHS alone isn't scary anymore. I think for her, she will have to always train one step ahead on beam so the current skill doesn't feel scary. Perhaps your daughter could start learning her series and the BHS alone won't seem scary...

I think every gymnast has their own personal fears that they just have to work through. My dd isn't scared at all of a bhs on beam, but just don't ask her to do a leap on beam or her fhs/ft series on floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back