WAG BHS stick vs BHS step out on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
My daughter who is competing level 7 this year is competing a BHS BHS on beam. She learned her BHS on beam doing a stick and thats whats more comfortable for her. She did BWO BHS with the BHS landing on two feet. She made the choice this summer to do a step out BHS to stick series. She's one of the only girls at our gym that prefers stick BHS to step out BHS. My oldest daughter was a level 4 going level 5 when she started to work on them, she was at a different gym than she is at now and they didn't give her a choice they made her do the stick BHS, she moved gyms that summer and she was re taught a BHS on beam doing a step out. The coach that made her do a step out has now left. So my youngest is going to do BHS BHS BT dismount on beam... heres the thing...when she connects the step out stick she's completely fine but theres something about the dismount that scares her. She feels more comfortable doing either stick stick BT or stick step out BT. Here are some questions I have.

1. What was taught to your DD when she was first learning her BHS on beam?
2. What generally scores better step out or stick?
3. Does anyone else have a DD that does either
stick stick
stick step out
stick BT
or stick BLO

Sorry if that was long an all over the place ;)

our gym lets the gymnast decide based on how each feels. dd preferred step out. she never did bhs-bhs. went from bwo-bhs to bhs-lo, both step outs.

It is really about what your dd is going to feel most comfortable with. Scores don't matter if she is not comfortable with the series and not going to perform it well. Personally, I think it is asking for trouble to have her connect a series to a dismount in L7 where she doesn't feel comfortable with it.

What scores better is the one that is executed better with the best form - they are “worth” the same. My DD has learned both, but her stepout is much prettier and consistent. You dd doesn’t need to connect into the dismount for level 7. If she has a say, ask to do what she’s comfortable with for competition - and continue working the connection in practice!!

BHS step out connected to BHS two feet to dismount is more progressive. We don’t “stick” them... because they don’t want the heels down, they want a punch.

My DD has always preferred bhs two feet. I never see anyone else do it. We always see the stepout. I agree she doesn’t need to connect her series to the dismount in 7. Not unless she’s comfortable!

BHS "stick"? what does that mean? I've never heard that before. Anything where the feet stay on the beam and don't move is considered "stuck." As far as a BHS step out vs a BHS to 2 feet, they have the same value, so whatever the gymnast is best at is what she should do.

Value is same as others have said, but I think it's good to practice both. I remember one meet many years ago when DD was a level 8, she did the BHS-BHS (stepout) series. Her first BHS was off so she couldn't go for the series. She did it again with a two-foot and it counted as a separate skill so she didn't lose the SR for the series. She had never practiced it before. Looking back it would have made sense to work a little on both, but focus on what's most comfortable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back