WAG "Big" Step or "Little" Step? Vault Landing Debate

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vans2

Proud Parent
Hello again everyone!

Last year I posted a video of my daughter's lvl 5 vault and asked for critique/input/deductions from experienced parents and coaches. There was a lot of input which was awesome, however there was a debate whether she was taking a "big" step or a "little" step on the landing. Some thought it was big, while others thought it was small. And I guess there's a .10-.30 potential deduction.

Here is a new video of her lvl 6 vault (FH-same as lvl 5) from the meet last weekend. So can anyone tell me or agree if this landing is considered a big or little step? And is the little step a .10 deduction and the large one is .30?

(BTW she scored a 9.250).

I always thought a rough guide was more than shoulder width apart was a large step? Based on that, I would say large also...but I am also a parent so what do I know?

I saw in the table of penalties awhile ago that 0.3 is the maximum reserved for a huge hop or step around a yard long. I though the vault scoring at that meet was a little different than how the same vaults would have scored elsewhere.

I would take .2 for large step as well. My DD gets this deduction all the time , coach says she doesn't care - it shows she has power off the table, which at the end of the day is a good thing.

I would say it's a large step .2-.3.

It might have even been two steps since she steps forward and then steps her OTHER foot forward as well.

Edited...the second vault she steps and then steps back, so def just 1 step there.

I would take .2 for large step as well. My DD gets this deduction all the time , coach says she doesn't care - it shows she has power off the table, which at the end of the day is a good thing.

This is interesting because I would normally tell a gymnast that a step isn't solely power...it is rotation and angle as well. You can have TONS of power but if your rotation and angle are good, you can stick.

This is interesting because I would normally tell a gymnast that a step isn't solely power...it is rotation and angle as well. You can have TONS of power but if your rotation and angle are good, you can stick.

Haha probably something she tells my DD to make her feel better! Like, worry about the bigger deductions your might be getting onto the table!

Big step, she is jumping forward onto her foot without her torso upright, but would not be max landing deduction with most judges. Most judges would take 0.2.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back