WAG Big Toe Getting Stuck - Beam/Floor Shoe?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

fuzi

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Hello all. I've started training again in my old age and am having the time of my life except for one little (or big) problem. When I do turns on beam or floor, my big toe frequently gets "stuck" and then is bruised/swollen for a week or two after. Not looking for medical advice, but rather suggestions on how to avoid this.

I tried "buddy taping" the big toe to the second toe, but that was very uncomfortable and felt like it was pulling awkwardly on my second toe. (It probably doesn't help that I have big feet and big big toes). I've tried flexing my toes up a little in releve, so I am turning more on the ball of my foot, but that's awkward. Any other suggestions?

Has anyone used (or known anyone that used) a beam, rhythmic, or dance shoe on their turning foot? What sort of shoe worked for them?

Thanks!

Another big feet and big toes person here, it's so much fun when your foot is wider than the beam, lol. And gym floors really aren't made for turning on at all.

On beam, I find turning easier with a higher releve. Turning with a flatter foot will pull more on your toes than if you're high up and properly centred over the ball of your foot.

You could definitely try ankle socks. Chinese elite gymnasts seem to do this, on floor as well as beam, and it seems to work fine for them cranking around triples and quads so there must be some benefit!

You also could try what the rhythmic gymnasts, and I think Dutch WAG girls, are using. It's a sort of pad just for the toes, like the bottom end of a shoe, and it's made of a very slippy, felt-like material.

Very soft and flexible gym shoes (the kind of flimsy ones, not actual sneakers/trainers) may be a more robust option. They wouldn't provide as much close contact with the beam so might be off-putting. They'd totally work, though!

I'd be cautious on the beam if you choose to wear any of these. Using a bit of chalk on the soles of your feet and perhaps the beam surface would probably be a good idea.

Since starting rhythmic my ODD, who is a size 10 shoe, has fallen in love with rhythmic shoes. She says she'll use them in artistic too for turns- she just recently got her triple turn on floor. They only cover the toes and heel pad of the foot, and come with varying degrees of padding depending on personal preference.

Since starting rhythmic my ODD, who is a size 10 shoe, has fallen in love with rhythmic shoes. She says she'll use them in artistic too for turns- she just recently got her triple turn on floor. They only cover the toes and heel pad of the foot, and come with varying degrees of padding depending on personal preference.
Can you share what type she uses?

As well as regular rhythmic toe shoes there are also rhythmic toe socks - think Chacott and Sasaki do them. Might be better for beam as thinner soled.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back