Parents Bigger Bog Baby's final meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well BBB has come to the end of her gymnastics marathon. She has been amazingly tenacious desptie her many injuries and set backs.

She started gym at 3, and she was was of those tiny things with the potential to go a long way in the sport. She was a solid L6 when she was 8 and then came her first injury. She took time off and rehabbed and worked hard with a sport therapist. This was the first of many injuries, I couldn't even begin to list them here....

At the age of 11 came the diagnosis of scoliosis and the start of chronic back pain. She stopped doing BWO's and bridges and began to work on even more physio to build up her core strength. She took off so much time as she was not allowed to train through the pain, but she always wanted to go back and keep training.

This season, she has managed to compete all 3 meets, but not all apparatus, she still did a great job. She will compete at Provincials tomorrow night and then that will be her own personal finishing line.

I will not lie and say that I am not sad, but more than sad I am so proud of her, proud for her hard work and proud that she knows when to end the race.

Hopefully she will be able to keep fit other ways, and have fun whilst doing it. There are no other sports here unless ice hockey or skating are your thing. Small towns and small sports!

Thanks to those of you who have shared in her journey and thanks to all of you who have shared words of wisdom. They all have helped her continue and also to let go. I continue to learn daily, this time from a 13 year old child. I am a fortunate mother.

Last edited:
Sending BBB lots of luck for a great meet tomorrow. Her story is one of a gymnast that has struggled to stay in the sport despite many challenges, she is a true gymnast. I am sure her journey has been one that she has learned from and hopefully one she will take lots of good memories from. Injuries for gymnasts are so difficult.

Hugs to you, Bog. I know it is difficult for you, too. You have every reason to be proud. She is a remarkable girl.

I hope all parents will read this and remember to let our children enjoy this sport everyday that they are in it. There are no guarantees that they will get to do it forever regardless of their talent or love for the sport. Let them be kids and have fun doing what they love. Let it be their sport. Be their biggest fan and be realistic. It can all be changed in an instant, injuries happen and they can be devastating.

Bog,

When I read your post all kinds of thoughts went through my mind, and then I read Mariposa, and her post says all that I was thinking and in a much better way that I could have said it, so just let me second all that Mariposa has written. This is such a special sport and our dds learn so much about life from all that they experience. I have no doubt that your dd will these lessons throughout her life. My best wishes to both you and your dd.

Best wishes to your daughter. What a great example of perseverance - and what a great sport! Those will be some mighty big shoes to fill at the gym. So glad she could enjoy gymnastics in spite of all the hurdles that were thrown up in front of her. I know she will do great in whatever she sets her mind to.

Oh...what a strange mix of feelings you and she must be having! I didn't realize she was going to stop doing gym...guess I don't read as closely as I should. I hope she has a wonderful meet and is happy with her performance. She has so so SO very many things to be proud of, as do you!

I'm sorry. :( I know how you feel. Older DD E was a talented level 9 gymnast when she was 12 and started to suffer back pain. The doctors at first thought she had compression fractures in her back (based on mri results) and she was out of gym for a year. She was eventually diagnosed with atypical (lower back) Scheuermann's disease which can give the appearance of compression fractures in the spine. She was allowed back in gym and went on to compete level 10 but at a great cost. Beam was front tuck mount, punch front, round off layout series ... etc. She had lost all flexibility in her back. And, it continued to hurt. She did quit when she was 16 and coached for three years before college (she's a full time student now).

I was VERY proud of how hard she worked to compensate for her physical limitations. So, I understand how proud you are of BBB.

Best wishes to her in everything she does in the future.

ZZ's Mom

Hope she has a great last meet and I hope she finds a new passion. I find it very sad when gymnasts have to quit due to injuries. I have seen this alot and then I have seen gymnasts who are doing so well but choose to give up the sport, it seems unfair.

Hugs to you Bog and hugs to BBB for lasting in this sport for 10 years!!! Wow--when you say it like that--What an accomplishment!!! I hope she has a great last meet and looks back on her gymnastics career as a time of great learning through the challenges but great fun with her friends and family doing what she loved.

Big hugs to both of you! She really is inspirational. I hope that she can find something else to throw that passion into. She will definitely have many successes in life with that work ethic and determination and she will deserve each and every one of them.

Best of luck tomorrow night! You have every reason to be proud of her : ) Best wishes for all that she does in the future.

Best of luck to BBB as she continues her life journey! Gymnastics has been an important part of who she is and who she is to be...the skills that she has gained are priceless:)

Wow, what a beautiful summary of her gymnastic journey. Thanks for sharing (it brought tears to my eyes) and she is a wonderful role model to younger girls--we wish her the best :)

Cograts and best wishes to her and your whole family!! And don't let her (or you!) dwell on this as an ending. Shes 13! and has her whole life ahead of her...the lessons she has learned will carry her successfully through so many more adventures in her life! This is just the beginning!
Bet you can't wait to see what she's going to do next!!

I felt a little tearful as I read your posts. I love reading about your girls and your perspective of being a mom in the sport for 10 years.

I hope the final meet is great!

Here is hoping to a great final meet and for her to have fun as she exits this journey in life!! Im sure she will move on to many new and fun adventures!! It is soo obvious what a proud mother you are! (and you def should be!!)

thank you for sharing this with us!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back